From: Puckdropper on
Piranha <eu_piranha(a)gmx.net> wrote in

Puckdropper wrote this message:
>> My GCC build batch file looks something like this:
>> windres test.rc test.o
>> gcc -mwindows test.cpp test.o
>>
>> If you use Windows Common Controls, you'll need to add -lcomctl32
>> before
> -
>> mwindows
>>
>> theForger's tutorial has a few hints for different compilers, but is
>> base
>> on VC++: �http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
>>
>> Puckdropper
>
> I know theForger�s site, I�ve checked it out once, but I found it
> useless for me.
> In his page about Dialogs, I get as far as line one of chapter one,
> creating a resource.
> That�s where my compiler already brings up "syntax error" and I have
> no clue what is spelled wrong there.
> I�ve downloaded his source code, to check for differences, but
> aparently the typo is in there as well.

Do you mean this?
The first example on the page
"Dialogs, GUI coder's best friend" names a dialog IDD_ABOUT, but the
text immediately below it refers to IDD_ABOUTDLG.

I sent him an email about it some time ago.

So do you have a small code sample that you could post? We could take a
look at it and see if we can get it to compile, or perhaps see something
that got left out.

Puckdropper

From: Piranha on
On 24 Jul., 20:08, dj3va...(a)csclub.uwaterloo.ca.invalid wrote:
> In article <3209357e-903f-45c3-b066-0ce9d7c7d...(a)e39g2000hsf.googlegroups..com>,
>
> Piranha  <eu_pira...(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> >I know theForger4s site, I4ve checked it out once, but I found it
> >useless for me.
> >In his page about Dialogs, I get as far as line one of chapter one,
> >creating a resource.
> >That4s where my compiler already brings up "syntax error" and I have
> >no clue what is spelled wrong there.
> >I4ve downloaded his source code, to check for differences, but
> >aparently the typo is in there as well.
>
> Stupid question, but... are you trying to compile the resource script
> with a C compiler?  That could be a problem.
> I've never encountered a C compiler that recognizes and does the right
> thing with a resource file; there's a separate resource compiler you
> should be using.  I believe it's `windres' for MinGW.
> (A Win32 linker should be able to recognize and DTRT with the compiled
> resource file.)
>
> dave
>
> --
> Dave Vandervies                        dj3vande at eskimo dot com
> I recall a car which had a "CHECK ENGINE" _noise_. When the noise
> stopped, you checked the engine.
>                             --Tanuki in the scary devil monastery

Not a stupid question, but good guess ..... how would a beginner know
he needs a separate resource compiler?

Now if anyone could tell me, how to get this to work?
So far I´m just using Code:Blocks for IDE, the standard installation
as offered for download at www.codeblocks.org , which has MinGW and GCC
++ included.
I never bothered with additional plugins and stuff, up to my first
attempt to create a dialog it was working fine.
So what do I have to do, to add the functionallity needed for
resources?
And why do 100s of beginner tutorials never mention this? Can all
those experts who write these tutorials not imagine that a beginner is
lost without this information?
From: Piranha on
On 24 Jul., 23:41, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> Piranha <eu_pira...(a)gmx.net> wrote innews:3209357e-903f-45c3-b066-0ce9d7c7dc50(a)e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>
> Puckdropper wrote this message:
>

> >> My GCC build batch file looks something like this:
> >> windres test.rc test.o
> >> gcc -mwindows test.cpp test.o
>
> >> If you use Windows Common Controls, you'll need to add -lcomctl32
> >> before
> > -
> >> mwindows
>
> >> theForger's tutorial has a few hints for different compilers, but is
> >> base
> >> on VC++:  http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
>
> >> Puckdropper
>
> > I know theForger´s site, I´ve checked it out once, but I found it
> > useless for me.
> > In his page about Dialogs, I get as far as line one of chapter one,
> > creating a resource.
> > That´s where my compiler already brings up "syntax error" and I have
> > no clue what is spelled wrong there.
> > I´ve downloaded his source code, to check for differences, but
> > aparently the typo is in there as well.
>
> Do you mean this?
> The first example on the page
> "Dialogs, GUI coder's best friend" names a dialog IDD_ABOUT, but the
> text immediately below it refers to IDD_ABOUTDLG.
>
> I sent him an email about it some time ago.
>
> So do you have a small code sample that you could post?  We could take a
> look at it and see if we can get it to compile, or perhaps see something
> that got left out.
>
> Puckdropper
> --
> If you're quiet, your teeth never touch your ankles.
>
> To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at) fastmail.fm- Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

As dave just told me above, I would need a separate "resource
compiler".
If so, it would be a real useful addition to theForger´s site to
mention this minor detail.
From: Puckdropper on

> As dave just told me above, I would need a separate "resource
> compiler".
> If so, it would be a real useful addition to theForger�s site to
> mention this minor detail.

I agree that this detail would improve theForger's site, but I'm not
affiliated with it in any way other than reading it and recommending it to
others.

Puckdropper

From: Sten Westerback (MVP SDK 2005-6 :) on

"Piranha" <eu_piranha(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
On 24 Jul., 23:41, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

>As dave just told me above, I would need a separate "resource compiler".
>If so, it would be a real useful addition to theForger�s site to mention
>this minor detail.

As the contents of a .rc file clearly isn't C-code why would a C compiler
know how to use it? It doesn't even result in runnable code but instead in
data that is put into the header of the EXE by the linker (yet another term
to read up on ;) and used by the code.

If online references (+ boldly made attempts to make various changes)
doesn't help you out then you should get/borrow a book such as "Programming
Windows" by Charles Petzold and others... even an 5 years old book is good
for beginners.

- Sten