From: Robert Jacobs on
First off, thank you any experts who have the answer to my final
question! I'm almost done with this thing! My database holds all of
our assets, and all of our software (boxed and open licenses).

Each piece of software needs this info: (no record can have the same
CD Key AND the same License Instance - one or the other can match,
just not both)
Product Name (i.e. Microsoft Office 2010)
CD Key
License Instance (i.e. 1 of 120, 2 of 120, etc.)
Computer Assigned to

All of this works... BUT, what I need is the capability to create
multiple records from one entry into a form. The way my DB works, you
have to enter all licenses as individual records, no matter how many
instances you have.

For example: I go out and purchase 120 open licenses of Microsoft
Office Professional 2010, all with the same Product Name and CD key,
and the Computer assigned to can be empty when first setup (can be
assigned later) - but the instance needs to change from 1 of 120, 2 of
120, 3 of 120... etc. Is there any way to create a form, where you
enter the Product Name and CD Key and the number of licenses you
purchased (i.e. 120), and it creates 120 records with the License
Instance automatically set to 1 of 120, 2 of 120, etc.?

God, I know this is confusing, but if it can be accomplished, it would
be GREATLY appreciated. I know I will get people asking why I set my
DB up this way, and trust me, I tried other ways, this is just what
works best for our particular scenario. In fact, if there is no way
to do this, it is still worth my time to enter them all in 1 at a
time... I just don't want to. I have other posts on other sites
asking about other ways to do these licenses to work the way I need it
to, and it just keeps coming back to this is the best route. Please
don't try to fix that problem, please try to give a solution to the
one I entered above. AGAIN - YOU ARE THE GREATEST, WHOEVER YOU ARE
THAT FIXES THIS FOR ME!!!!!
From: XPS35 on
Robert Jacobs wrote:

> First off, thank you any experts who have the answer to my final
> question! I'm almost done with this thing! My database holds all of
> our assets, and all of our software (boxed and open licenses).
>
> Each piece of software needs this info: (no record can have the same
> CD Key AND the same License Instance - one or the other can match,
> just not both)
> Product Name (i.e. Microsoft Office 2010)
> CD Key
> License Instance (i.e. 1 of 120, 2 of 120, etc.)
> Computer Assigned to
>
> All of this works... BUT, what I need is the capability to create
> multiple records from one entry into a form. The way my DB works, you
> have to enter all licenses as individual records, no matter how many
> instances you have.
>
> For example: I go out and purchase 120 open licenses of Microsoft
> Office Professional 2010, all with the same Product Name and CD key,
> and the Computer assigned to can be empty when first setup (can be
> assigned later) - but the instance needs to change from 1 of 120, 2 of
> 120, 3 of 120... etc. Is there any way to create a form, where you
> enter the Product Name and CD Key and the number of licenses you
> purchased (i.e. 120), and it creates 120 records with the License
> Instance automatically set to 1 of 120, 2 of 120, etc.?
>
> God, I know this is confusing, but if it can be accomplished, it would
> be GREATLY appreciated. I know I will get people asking why I set my
> DB up this way, and trust me, I tried other ways, this is just what
> works best for our particular scenario. In fact, if there is no way
> to do this, it is still worth my time to enter them all in 1 at a
> time... I just don't want to. I have other posts on other sites
> asking about other ways to do these licenses to work the way I need it
> to, and it just keeps coming back to this is the best route. Please
> don't try to fix that problem, please try to give a solution to the
> one I entered above. AGAIN - YOU ARE THE GREATEST, WHOEVER YOU ARE
> THAT FIXES THIS FOR ME!!!!!

Create an unbound form with 3 fields(txtProduct, txtKey and numLicenses)
plus a commandbutton. For this button make a code like:

Dim LicCount As Integer

For LicCount = 1 To Me.numLicenses
DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO YourTable ([Product Name], [CD Key],
[License Instance]) " & _
"VALUES('" & Me.txtProduct & "','" & Me.txtKey & "','" &
LicCount & " of " & Me.numLicenses & "')"
Next

--
Groeten,

Peter
http://access.xps350.com

From: Robert Jacobs on
On Jul 16, 3:37 pm, XPS35 <xps...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Jacobs wrote:
> > First off, thank you any experts who have the answer to my final
> > question!  I'm almost done with this thing!  My database holds all of
> > our assets, and all of our software (boxed and open licenses).
>
> > Each piece of software needs this info: (no record can have the same
> > CD Key AND the same License Instance - one or the other can match,
> > just not both)
> >   Product Name (i.e. Microsoft Office 2010)
> >   CD Key
> >   License Instance (i.e. 1 of 120, 2 of 120, etc.)
> >   Computer Assigned to
>
> > All of this works... BUT, what I need is the capability to create
> > multiple records from one entry into a form.  The way my DB works, you
> > have to enter all licenses as individual records, no matter how many
> > instances you have.
>
> > For example:  I go out and purchase 120 open licenses of Microsoft
> > Office Professional 2010, all with the same Product Name and CD key,
> > and the Computer assigned to can be empty when first setup (can be
> > assigned later) - but the instance needs to change from 1 of 120, 2 of
> > 120, 3 of 120... etc.  Is there any way to create a form, where you
> > enter the Product Name and CD Key and the number of licenses you
> > purchased (i.e. 120), and it creates 120 records with the License
> > Instance automatically set to 1 of 120, 2 of 120, etc.?
>
> > God, I know this is confusing, but if it can be accomplished, it would
> > be GREATLY appreciated.  I know I will get people asking why I set my
> > DB up this way, and trust me, I tried other ways, this is just what
> > works best for our particular scenario.  In fact, if there is no way
> > to do this, it is still worth my time to enter them all in 1 at a
> > time... I just don't want to.  I have other posts on other sites
> > asking about other ways to do these licenses to work the way I need it
> > to, and it just keeps coming back to this is the best route.  Please
> > don't try to fix that problem, please try to give a solution to the
> > one I entered above.  AGAIN - YOU ARE THE GREATEST, WHOEVER YOU ARE
> > THAT FIXES THIS FOR ME!!!!!
>
> Create an unbound form with 3 fields(txtProduct, txtKey and numLicenses)
> plus a commandbutton. For this button make a code like:
>
> Dim LicCount As Integer
>
> For LicCount = 1 To Me.numLicenses
>     DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO YourTable ([Product Name], [CD Key],
> [License Instance]) " & _
>         "VALUES('" & Me.txtProduct & "','" & Me.txtKey & "','" &
> LicCount & " of " & Me.numLicenses & "')"
> Next
>
> --
> Groeten,
>
> Peterhttp://access.xps350.com
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

That worked perfectly! The only annoying part about it is that it
prompts you all 120 times if you want to append 1 record to your
table, and you have to click yes 120 times. Do you know of a way to
skip that message (or default the answer to yes for each message)? If
not - I don't really care - you just made my week! Thanks a ton
Peter!!!!!
From: Salad on
Robert Jacobs wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>Dim LicCount As Integer
>>
>>For LicCount = 1 To Me.numLicenses
>> DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO YourTable ([Product Name], [CD Key],
>>[License Instance]) " & _
>> "VALUES('" & Me.txtProduct & "','" & Me.txtKey & "','" &
>>LicCount & " of " & Me.numLicenses & "')"
>>Next
>>
>>--
>>Groeten,
>>
>>Peterhttp://access.xps350.com
>>
>>--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---
>

> That worked perfectly! The only annoying part about it is that it
> prompts you all 120 times if you want to append 1 record to your
> table, and you have to click yes 120 times. Do you know of a way to
> skip that message (or default the answer to yes for each message)? If
> not - I don't really care - you just made my week! Thanks a ton

Docmd.setwarnings false
....statements
docmd.setwarnings true
From: paii, Ron on

"Robert Jacobs" <robertjacobsit(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Dim LicCount As Integer
>
> For LicCount = 1 To Me.numLicenses
> DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO YourTable ([Product Name], [CD Key],
> [License Instance]) " & _
> "VALUES('" & Me.txtProduct & "','" & Me.txtKey & "','" &
> LicCount & " of " & Me.numLicenses & "')"
> Next
>
> --
> Groeten,
>
> Peterhttp://access.xps350.com
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

>That worked perfectly! The only annoying part about it is that it
>prompts you all 120 times if you want to append 1 record to your
>table, and you have to click yes 120 times. Do you know of a way to
>skip that message (or default the answer to yes for each message)? If
>not - I don't really care - you just made my week! Thanks a ton

Use Execute instead of RunSQL

dim db as Database
Set db = currentdb
For LicCount = 1 To Me.numLicenses
db.execute "INSERT INTO YourTable ([Product Name], [CD Key],
[License Instance]) " & _
"VALUES('" & Me.txtProduct & "','" & Me.txtKey & "','" &
LicCount & " of " & Me.numLicenses & "')"
Next
set db = nothing