From: Hector Santos on
Once again a post (reply to you) went into lala land.

David, I agree. But there are legit reasons why a user still need some
parent process control. All depends on the needs.

--
HLS

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
One mechanism is to handle the WM_ACTIVATEAPP message in the parent and explicity bring
the child app to the front.

But I'd be inclined to use the solution I originally proposed: when the app is launched,
use CreateProcess with an option to minimize the second app, and put it in a mode where it
merely notifies the parent of the progresss.
joe

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:34:16 +0200, Simon <bad(a)example.com> wrote:

>On 2010/04/16 07:47 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
>> If I follow you design, wouldn't making the 2nd dialog a Style = Child
>> do the trick?
>>

>The seconds dialog is a child, and it prevents the user from doing
>anything at all, (the dialog is nothing more than a never ending
>progress bar).
>
>But when the user clicks anywhere on my app, (the app that called
>CreateProcess( ... )), then it goes on top of all other windows
>including the created process.
>
>I would like the created process to go on top of my app.
>
>Simon
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Simon on
On 2010/04/18 09:36 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
> Simon wrote:
>
>>> Or is he talking about the child process window staying on top within
>>> the parent window?
>>
>> Not within the parent window, just on top of the app.
>

> So if you don't for within, the two windows can be side by side? Anyway,
> you can adjust the code I have here.

The main app, (the one creating the process), can be maximized.

> I appreciate other people's comment as I learned as most doing it, and I
> won't be surprise if there is better logic. :)

Thanks, I'll give it a try on my side and get back to you

Simon

From: Simon on
On 2010/04/19 04:45 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> One mechanism is to handle the WM_ACTIVATEAPP message in the parent and explicity bring
> the child app to the front.

Yes, that could work. I'll play around with it.

> But I'd be inclined to use the solution I originally proposed: when the app is launched,
> use CreateProcess with an option to minimize the second app, and put it in a mode where it
> merely notifies the parent of the progresss.

Sorry I did not see any any original reply on my server.
But realistically that might cause more problems, there is nothing
stopping the user from maximizing the second app.

I would prefer, (in an ideal situation), the first app to bring the
second app on top.

Simon

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
If you wrote the second app, you can do anything you want, including minimizing it if it
is being run as a child app under the main app.

But you seem to want something that solves a problem not worth solving, which is to take
control away from the user about Z-order and application size. If you want to take that
control away, take it away completely by eliminating the need to have it at all, such as
by running the app minimized or invisible and letting it notify its parent about its
progress; if the parent wishes to display that progress, that's cool, but you need to
provide the interface. Use a Registered Window Message (see my essay on Windows Message
Management on my MVP Tips site for details)
joe

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:09:17 +0200, Simon <bad(a)example.com> wrote:

>On 2010/04/19 04:45 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>> One mechanism is to handle the WM_ACTIVATEAPP message in the parent and explicity bring
>> the child app to the front.
>
>Yes, that could work. I'll play around with it.
>

>> But I'd be inclined to use the solution I originally proposed: when the app is launched,
>> use CreateProcess with an option to minimize the second app, and put it in a mode where it
>> merely notifies the parent of the progresss.
>>

>Sorry I did not see any any original reply on my server.
>But realistically that might cause more problems, there is nothing
>stopping the user from maximizing the second app.
>
>I would prefer, (in an ideal situation), the first app to bring the
>second app on top.
>
>Simon

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com