From: Gene Wirchenko on
Dear All:

I am using SQL Express 2008 and working through the tutorials. So
far, I have been able to do everything although occasionally, the
system and the tutorial do not quite match. I am stumped now though.

"Using Script Projects and Solutions

To create a script project and solution

1. Open Management Studio, and connect to a server with Object
Explorer.

2. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project. The New
Project dialog box opens."

I have tried many times. File -- New gives choices of
Query with Current Connection
Database Engine Query
SQL Server Compact Query
Policy
There is no choice "Project".

What am I missing, please?

I did find a doc note that a solution must be open for the
Project choice to be available, but I can not see how to open a
solution either, and the tutorial mentions nothing about solutions. (I
also do not know what is meant by a solution in this context.)

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Gene Wirchenko (genew(a)ocis.net) writes:
> I am using SQL Express 2008 and working through the tutorials. So
> far, I have been able to do everything although occasionally, the
> system and the tutorial do not quite match. I am stumped now though.
>
> "Using Script Projects and Solutions
>
> To create a script project and solution
>
> 1. Open Management Studio, and connect to a server with Object
> Explorer.
>
> 2. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project. The New
> Project dialog box opens."
>
> I have tried many times. File -- New gives choices of
> Query with Current Connection
> Database Engine Query
> SQL Server Compact Query
> Policy
> There is no choice "Project".
>
> What am I missing, please?
>
> I did find a doc note that a solution must be open for the
> Project choice to be available, but I can not see how to open a
> solution either, and the tutorial mentions nothing about solutions. (I
> also do not know what is meant by a solution in this context.)

In Visual Studio they have solutions, but I have never understood what
problem they solve. It seems that "solution" might be a utterly strange
word for "workspace", but if there is anything in this world that makes me
confused it's Visual Studio, at least versions after VS6.

And SQL Server Management Studio is built on the same shell as VS, which may
explain some of these funny things.

Now for the good news: you don't have to use projects or "solutions" to use
SSMS. I have never used them myself, and understand about as little as you
do of them.

I should add that when I look in the New menu on my instance of SSMS, I do
see "Project". I guess that you are using SSMS Express, and this particular
feature may be missing from SSMS Express.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Gene Wirchenko on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:04:18 +0200, Erland Sommarskog
<esquel(a)sommarskog.se> wrote:

[snip]

>Now for the good news: you don't have to use projects or "solutions" to use
>SSMS. I have never used them myself, and understand about as little as you
>do of them.

So what do I do? Just create scripts and save them as
<mumble>.sql?

>I should add that when I look in the New menu on my instance of SSMS, I do
>see "Project". I guess that you are using SSMS Express, and this particular
>feature may be missing from SSMS Express.

It identifies itself on the splash form as "Microsoft SQL Server
2008 Management Studio".

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Gene Wirchenko (genew(a)ocis.net) writes:
> So what do I do? Just create scripts and save them as
><mumble>.sql?

Yup. Anything that works for you.

> It identifies itself on the splash form as "Microsoft SQL Server
> 2008 Management Studio".

Well, how did you get hold of it?

I don't seem to have SSMS Express 2008 installed anywhere, so I can say how
it presents itself, but SSMS Express is essentially a stripped down version
of SSMS, so it may not actually say Express when you start it. Help->About
may reveal something.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Gene Wirchenko on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:26:32 +0200, Erland Sommarskog
<esquel(a)sommarskog.se> wrote:

>Gene Wirchenko (genew(a)ocis.net) writes:
>> So what do I do? Just create scripts and save them as
>><mumble>.sql?
>
>Yup. Anything that works for you.
>
>> It identifies itself on the splash form as "Microsoft SQL Server
>> 2008 Management Studio".
>
>Well, how did you get hold of it?

I downloaded and installed SQL Express 2008. According to my
download records:

SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe
SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services
2008-12-29 [download date]
downloaded starting from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx
?FamilyId=B5D1B8C3-FDA5-4508-B0D0-1311D670E336&displaylang=en

>I don't seem to have SSMS Express 2008 installed anywhere, so I can say how
>it presents itself, but SSMS Express is essentially a stripped down version
>of SSMS, so it may not actually say Express when you start it. Help->About
>may reveal something.

Nope. It says it is SQL Server etc. not SQL Express. No, I did
not try to steal a copy.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko