From: CSnTexas on
Access 2000- I am trying to create a Query based off two tables.
I am working with two tables and the only matching field out of both tables
is an account number. How do I write an expression or criteria in the design
view that will allow the account number to match out of each table to gather
the rest of the information from both table based off the account numbers?

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:30:01 -0700, CSnTexas
<CSnTexas(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Access 2000- I am trying to create a Query based off two tables.
>I am working with two tables and the only matching field out of both tables
>is an account number. How do I write an expression or criteria in the design
>view that will allow the account number to match out of each table to gather
>the rest of the information from both table based off the account numbers?

Create a Query in the query design window.

Add both tables to the query window.

If Access doesn't do so automatically, drag the account number field from one
table (the "parent") to the corresponding field in the child table.

Select whatever fields you want to see into the query grid.

You'll be doing this a lot, and should become comfortable with both the query
grid view and SQL view - you can click View... SQL to see the latter (it's the
"real" query, the grid is just a tool). If you need help with a query from the
newsgroups, copy and paste the SQL to a message here.

Here are some resources that might help you up the steep and rocky learning
curve...

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal: