From: Walter on
Hi,

When you create a logical partition inside an extended partition (e.g. using
diskpart) on Windows 7 the following german message box will be displayed,
which looks like::

„Sie müssen den Datenträger in Laufwerk E: formatieren, bevor Sie ihn
verwenden können. Möchten Sie ihn formatieren?“

Approx. Translation: "Sie müssen den Datenträger in Laufwerk E: formatieren,
bevor Sie ihn verwenden können." = "You must format the volume in drive E:
before you can use it"

"Möchten Sie ihn formatieren?" = "Do you want to format it?"

Questions: Is there a way to suppress this message box? Is there a method to
programmatically create a partition that does not pop up message boxes?

From: Kerem Gümrükcü on

Hi Walter,

before i will explain everthing in detail, have
a look at this post on sysinternals and then
you can figure the rest out by reading regarding
information on MSDN and www:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3029

Good Luck

Regards

Kerem
P.S: You need a elevated Token (a real Administrator!) on Vista
and upper to accomplish this, never forget that or you will get a
ACCESS_DENIED (5) on any call attempt for DeviceIoControl(...)
if you are NOT a Administrator!

--
-----------------------
Beste Grüsse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue

From: Walter on
Hi Kerem,

we also use the partitioning method (IOCTL) that your posting refers to (or
at least it seems so, I cannot see any relevant differences). The problem
(that an unwanted dialog is bothering the user) only exists since Windows 7
(and seems to be independent from the partitioning method one chooses). Have
you actually tried it on Windows 7 to create an extended (!) partition and
not seen the warning dialog?

Regards

From: Merrow on

push