From: clancy_1 on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:23:05 -0500, paulf(a)quillandmouse.com (Paul M Foster) wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:17:34AM +1100, clancy_1(a)cybec.com.au wrote:

>> at all -- until you
>> >
>> >whenever i write an opening tag, i immediately write the closing tag
>> >next, then cursor back to fill it in.
>>
>> Not so easy when you are using PHP to generate a complex layout!
>
>Use heredocs to do it. Then you can generate the layout in PHP and still
>do what dealtek(a)gmail.com said.

I don't think heredocs is relevant. The original writer wanted to save the HTML output of
a working page to a file, whereas (I think!) heredocs are involved with getting messy
stuff into PHP.

I still think that simply capturing the page from the browser is the simplest solution for
the original question, but if you want a more elegant one see:

http://codeutopia.net/blog/2007/10/03/how-to-easily-redirect-php-output-to-a-file/

The writer appears to know what he's talking about, and I am pleased to have found this,
as I have often wanted to to redirect PHP output to a file.

From: Nisse =?utf-8?Q?Engstr=C3=B6m?= on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:48:47 +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 20:15 +0530, Raman . wrote:
>
>> you can use Apache mod rewrite to create html pages having all programing
>> saved in .php pages. I have never tried generating .html pages with this but
>> have successfully generated .htm pages..
>
> You still have to create .php pages, mod_rewrite just masks what the
> user is requesting through their browser. You can set Apache to
> parse .html pages as PHP, but I wouldn't recommend it, as any html pages
> that don't contain PHP code still have to be parsed as if they did,
> which is slower.

..htaccess:
DirectoryIndex index.php

/Nisse
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 19:20 +0100, Nisse Engström wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:48:47 +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 20:15 +0530, Raman . wrote:
> >
> >> you can use Apache mod rewrite to create html pages having all programing
> >> saved in .php pages. I have never tried generating .html pages with this but
> >> have successfully generated .htm pages..
> >
> > You still have to create .php pages, mod_rewrite just masks what the
> > user is requesting through their browser. You can set Apache to
> > parse .html pages as PHP, but I wouldn't recommend it, as any html pages
> > that don't contain PHP code still have to be parsed as if they did,
> > which is slower.
>
> .htaccess:
> DirectoryIndex index.php
>

> /Nisse

That would only set the index for a given directory, it doesn't force
Apache to run that script when something else is called.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Robert Cummings on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 19:20 +0100, Nisse Engström wrote:

>>> You still have to create .php pages, mod_rewrite just masks what the
>>> user is requesting through their browser. You can set Apache to
>>> parse .html pages as PHP, but I wouldn't recommend it, as any html pages
>>> that don't contain PHP code still have to be parsed as if they did,
>>> which is slower.
>> .htaccess:
>> DirectoryIndex index.php
>>

>> /Nisse
>>

> That would only set the index for a given directory, it doesn't force
> Apache to run that script when something else is called.

I answered this issue yesterday with the following:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html .htm

I think tedd also adds .css :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 13:40 -0500, Robert Cummings wrote:

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> >> .htaccess:
> >> DirectoryIndex index.php
> >>

> >> /Nisse
> >>

> > That would only set the index for a given directory, it doesn't force
> > Apache to run that script when something else is called.
>
> I answered this issue yesterday with the following:
>
> AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html .htm
>
> I think tedd also adds .css :)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
> --
> http://www.interjinn.com
> Application and Templating Framework for PHP

I thought that doing that introduced slowdowns where Apache was parsing
html files that didn't contain PHP code though?