From: Andy B. on
I just wanted a mass opinion on the subject. Here is what I will be doing:

I need to create modules for a service that manages and stores data. Some of
it is just text and some of it is binary that will be encoded with base64
and then compressed to save disk space since the chuncks could be quite
large. For both methods (the ascii only as well as the base64 encoded
versions, the xml files will be secured with some form of crypto service
provided by .net 4. They will then be stored in the websites app_data folder
for extra security. I would use sql server to store the data, but the
database development is out of my practicle ability range and there isn't a
budget for it. It would also take 10 times longer than needed to create the
service.

How would you go about creating and programatically managing these xml
files? Custom object binding? xml writer? XmlDocument/XmlData? Use a
TextWriter and output everything in a string? Any ideas to get me a good
jumpstart.. Also, what sort of objects would you create or use to manage the
daily operations of the xml services above?.

From: Martin Honnen on
Andy B. wrote:

> How would you go about creating and programatically managing these xml
> files? Custom object binding? xml writer? XmlDocument/XmlData? Use a
> TextWriter and output everything in a string? Any ideas to get me a good
> jumpstart..

With .NET 3.5 or 4.0 you could consider to use LINQ to XML:
instead of XmlDocument/DOM.

--

Martin Honnen --- MVP Data Platform Development
http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
From: Andy B. on
Read up on most of it just now. Will have to try out some samples and see
how it works.
"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash(a)yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Andy B. wrote:
>
>> How would you go about creating and programatically managing these xml
>> files? Custom object binding? xml writer? XmlDocument/XmlData? Use a
>> TextWriter and output everything in a string? Any ideas to get me a good
>> jumpstart..
>
> With .NET 3.5 or 4.0 you could consider to use LINQ to XML:
> instead of XmlDocument/DOM.
>

> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP Data Platform Development
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

Pages: 1
Prev: More PInoke Shenanigans
Next: Remove text