From: Jugoslav Dujic on
Paul Thomas wrote:
> I have never tried it for fortran source code but have found Doxygen
> invaluable for gfortran documentation..... which reminds me, I need to
> update the documentation at the gfortran wiki :-)
>
> Most linices come with Doxygen already supplied.
>
> Cheers

Seconded; I'm just playing with it and it works fairly well (except
that it requires setting some obscure options to make the Fortran
code work).

However, I'm not sure (not that I personally care) how well
it supports F77 style and fixed-form code. Victor didn't specify
what is his source like though.

--
Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com
From: Terence on
On Mar 19, 3:06 am, VICTOR <victor.hera...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a huge problem. I have inherited a large program. It is about
> 30,000 lines long and it is only commented, but not documented. I have
> been thinking about creating flowcharts/activity diagrams,
> documentation, etc. Anything that helps me learn the program a little
> better. Can anyone tell me about the tools avaible for accomplishing
> this task. Regards,
>
> Victor

Sometime in 1962 I wrote a program to do this for Fortran (II/IV).

Now I had already done a flowcharting program for the 1401 assembler,
which drew branch decision diamonds with 2 (later 3) exits, and square
boxes of start-to-end linear process line numbers, and ran flow lines
down the right side of the 15-inch printer paper. Applied to Fortran
(the old GO TO ( ) a,b,c needed a left to right cross-over line) gave
a Fortran flowcharter. It might still be around, especially in the UK.

A bit later I did another program. which I still have working, to
automatically change labels and format statements to be in separate
sequences for F77. As before. one reads the source, temporally numbers
each statement start line, finds the lables (including the GOTO
(,,,),index drop through defaults) and builds a label table on one
pass, then renumbers the labels on a second pass. Unused labels are
optionally discarded. This table of origin start lines and used labels
defines the flowchart paths, so I could have used the older programs
to flowchart F77 too. Unfortunately the many 800 bpi tapes I kept have
not been readable...

But it isn't hard job.