From: VICTOR on
Hi,

i have a huge problem. I have inherited a large program. It is about
30,000 lines long and it is only commented, but not documented. I have
been thinking about creating flowcharts/activity diagrams,
documentation, etc. Anything that helps me learn the program a little
better. Can anyone tell me about the tools avaible for accomplishing
this task. Regards,

Victor
From: Jason Blevins on
On 2010-03-18, VICTOR <victor.herasme(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> i have a huge problem. I have inherited a large program. It is about
> 30,000 lines long and it is only commented, but not documented. I have
> been thinking about creating flowcharts/activity diagrams,
> documentation, etc. Anything that helps me learn the program a little
> better. Can anyone tell me about the tools avaible for accomplishing
> this task. Regards,

There are a few tools described here that you might want to
consider:

http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Automatic+documentation

I don't know if any of them will generate flowcharts, but you
can certainly generate documentation with comments, function
prototypes, etc. I use f90doc quite a bit for relatively simple
programs and libraries for generating HTML documentation.
FortranDOC generates nice PDF documentation via LaTeX. ROBODoc
seems to be capable of producing many different formats but
I've never used it myself.

I've assumed you have free-form code. I can't comment on the
available tools for processing fixed-format code.

Jason
From: dpb on
VICTOR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a huge problem. I have inherited a large program. It is about
> 30,000 lines long and it is only commented, but not documented. I have
> been thinking about creating flowcharts/activity diagrams,
> documentation, etc. Anything that helps me learn the program a little
> better. Can anyone tell me about the tools avaible for accomplishing
> this task. Regards,

Look at SciTools' 'Understand for Fortran' -- it isn't inexpensive but
has (or at least used to have) a testing option that would allow one to
use it for a limited time. I used it for precisely the same purpose on
a couple of occasions and it is very capable/useful for the purpose.

<www.scitools.com> I think from memory so no guarantees there's not some
perturbation on that...

From: Ian on
On Mar 18, 4:06 pm, VICTOR <victor.hera...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a huge problem. I have inherited a large program. It is about
> 30,000 lines long and it is only commented, but not documented. I have
> been thinking about creating flowcharts/activity diagrams,
> documentation, etc. Anything that helps me learn the program a little
> better. Can anyone tell me about the tools avaible for accomplishing
> this task. Regards,
>
> Victor

Our Fortran Resource file

http://www.fortranplus.co.uk/resources/fortran_resources.pdf

has a chapter

Chapter 8
Fortran Analysis, Conversion and
Maintenance Tools

Most are commercial.

Given the size of the code it may be worth while
investing in one of the tools.

Ian Chivers
From: Paul Thomas on
I have never tried it for fortran source code but have found Doxygen
invaluable for gfortran documentation..... which reminds me, I need to
update the documentation at the gfortran wiki :-)

Most linices come with Doxygen already supplied.

Cheers

Paul