From: Doctor on
I'm sure this question has an easy answer. Just can't figure it out on my own.

How do I design a situation where I can have multiple cross-references
created for my records?

My current setup:
tblResources
-ResourceID
-ResourceText

tblCrossReferences
-ParentResourceID
-ChildResourceID

I have a many to many relationship. But here is where it falls apart.

If I am on record 1 and I create cross references to records 2, 3, and 4 in
the cross references subform, then I navigate on the main form to record 2, I
want to be able to see the cross reference linking records 1 and 2. But since
the sfrmCrossReferences is linked to the ParentResourceID, it doesn't show
that these two resources have been linked when I am on record 2.

Is there a way to show this?

Any help would sure be greatly appreciated.
From: KARL DEWEY on
I think a self-join will do what you need. Change the table to this --
tblResources
-ResourceID - Primary key
-ResourceText
-P_O_ResourceID - foreign key

In the Relationship window put your table twice. Access will add a suffix
of '_1' to the table name. Create a one-to-many relationship from first
table ResourceID to second table P_O_ResourceID and select Referential
Integerity and Cascade Update.

P_O_ResourceID says it is Part Of the higher ResourceID. This is like an
employee table show who is the supervisor.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: Doctor on
Does your idea work for multiple cross references? Record 1 to 2, and record
1 to 4, and record 2 to 5, etc...

From: KARL DEWEY on
Yes, like this --
One --------------------- Many
Supervisor can have many employees.

ResourceID can have many P_O_ResourceID that a part of it.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: Doctor on
Karl, thanks for your response. I have done what you suggested, but I can't
get this to do what I need it to do.
How do I design the subform to accomplish my goal: (in my original question
I stated that if I am in record 1 and I create a cross reference to record 2.
Then when I navigate to record 2, I want to be able to see that record 2 is
cross-referenced to record 1.)

Please forgive me for not being able to wrap my head around your suggestion.