From: Jaybird5013 on
I've kind of danced around this topic for a week or so. I hope you will
forgive me for not knowing the sort of questions to ask initially. I'm
trying to create a scheduling matrix which will do something like this:
04/19/10 04/20/10
04/21/10
CLIENTS
Monday------------------Tuesday---------------Wednesday---
Cargiver/ Time Cargiver/ Time
Cargiver/ Time A. Levign B. Shaw /900-1230 C.
Califlower/10-2 J. Byrd/11-4
D. Bowie A. Murphee/8-12 G. Tigliabu/4-8 Y.
Mama/1-5
F. Crissake O. Boyaboy/7-5 G. Durnit/10-12 D.
Gonnit/730-5

Lacking the imagination and expertise to come up with something on my own, I
thought I would confer with the wise and wonderful wizards of the Discussion
Group! (Let me know if I'm laying it on too thick.) I saw Peter Hibbs' use
of Flex Grid and how it does almost Exactly what I want. But I don't know
how to use it. Then I played around with a crosstab query until I got
something similar too. I'm beginning to think that I need to totally rethink
my concept. As I type this, I suspect that I need is three or four tables.
One for clients, one for Caregivers, one for Appointments, and maybe one that
creates one field for every day of the year. None of these methods uses an
updatable query as the source for the form as near as I can tell. However, I
know that I can use events to call up forms that will update the table and
form upon entry. I would like to figure out what the merits and pitfalls are
for these methods. As you can see, my requirements are fairly specific.
Perhaps my concept is myopic. Perhaps someone can help me to see my way
through the forest, or at least, a path I can follow.
From: Steve on
Contact me and give me your email address and I will send you a screen shot
of my calendar form/report that does just what you want.

Steve
santus(a)penn.com

From: Stop$teve on

"Steve" <notmyemail(a)address.com> schreef in bericht news:OyrOQHK4KHA.4336(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Contact me and give me your email address and I will send you a screen shot of my calendar form/report that does just what you
> want.
>
> Steve
> santus(a)penn.com

And then you are going to give details about that form or just ask money ??

--
Get lost $teve. Go away... far away....

Again... Get lost $teve. Go away... far away....
No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...

This newsgroup is meant for FREE help..
No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...
OP look at http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/whoissteve.html
(Website has been updated and has a new 'look'... we have passed 12.000 pageloads... it's a shame !!)

Arno R

From: John... Visio MVP on
"Steve" <notmyemail(a)address.com> wrote in message
> Contact me and give me your email address and I will send you a screen
> shot of my calendar form/report that does just what you want.
>
> Steve
> santus(a)penn.com

stevie: So whose calendar add on are you trying to flog?

Stevie is our own personal pet troll who is the only one who does not
understand the concept of FREE peer to peer support!
He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices.

These newsgroups are provided by Microsoft for FREE peer to peer support.
There are many highly qualified individuals who gladly help for free. Stevie
is not one of them, but he is the only one who just does not get the idea of
"FREE" support. He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices. If he
was any good, the "thousands" of people he claims to have helped would be
flooding him with work, but there appears to be a continuous drought and he
needs to constantly grovel for work.

Please do not feed the trolls.

John... Visio MVP

From: Peter Hibbs on
Jaybird,

It seems to me that you have two issues here - the design of your
tables and then devising a form to show the data in a 'user friendly'
way (and the FlexGrid would seem to be the preferred option).

Regarding the tables, you haven't really supplied enough information
to give a definitive answer but I would guess you would need a table
for Clients and a table for Appointments. I am not sure that you would
need another table for Caregivers though, I would think that you could
use the Clients table to store that information and just add a field
to differentiate between a record used for a Client and a record used
for a Caregiver. I am assuming that they would have similar fields,
i.e, name, address, telephone, etc (but I could be wrong since I don't
know enough about your set up). I certainly don't see the need for a
table to hold a field (or record) for each day of the year since the
Appointments table would already have that information.

Regarding the Flex Grid form - my Newsreader program scrambled your
attempt as showing the scheduling matrix so it is a bit difficult to
see what columns and rows you have, perhaps you could explain in
words. I remember that in reply to your earlier post I suggested using
a Crosstab query to populate the Flex Grid matrix but looking at your
design I think that would be a bit limited. I would suggest using the
same method that I used in the Time Sheet demo that you have already
looked at, you can just modify the code slightly to give the layout
you want. With this method you would first draw the Flex Grid control
on the form with the appropriate number of rows and columns and then
create a record set for the data that is to be shown on the grid and
iterate through the recordset and paste each bit of data into the
appropriate cell. If you need any assistance with that then post back
and I will try and help (but you will need to write a fair bit of VBA
code yourself, it is not difficult).

Regarding your data - you have not supplied much so here are a few
questions that need to be addressed. I am guessing that you want to
show one weeks worth of data (presumably 7 days) although you only
show Monday to Wednesday in your post. So does that mean you want 7
columns (plus one for the row label)? How many rows do you need, is
this one row for each Caregiver plus the headings? What information
will go into each cell, is it the client name plus the appointment
times? Can there be more than one client for an appointment? Can
appointments overlap?

As I mentioned above, you need to set up your tables first and then
move on to the Flex Grid code. Let us know how you get on.

Peter Hibbs.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:08:01 -0700, Jaybird5013