From: Robbie on
Hi,

I need to create a license code to be used for my application....

I am new to Cryptograpgy. I have seen some examples whereby you would
store a Byte pattern in your code. For example encr.key= New Byte()
{55,65,.....}

Could someone decompile my app and obtain this key in order to "break" my
license code ?

Thanks !

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 1/9/2010 10:35 AM, Robbie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to create a license code to be used for my application....
>
> I am new to Cryptograpgy. I have seen some examples whereby you would
> store a Byte pattern in your code. For example encr.key= New Byte()
> {55,65,.....}
>
> Could someone decompile my app and obtain this key in order to "break" my
> license code ?
>
> Thanks !

Sure, look at http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/.

Would most of your users probably do that? That depends on how valuable
it is to them.

--
Mike
From: Rob on

"Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike(a)ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
> On 1/9/2010 10:35 AM, Robbie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to create a license code to be used for my application....
>>
>> I am new to Cryptograpgy. I have seen some examples whereby you would
>> store a Byte pattern in your code. For example encr.key= New Byte()
>> {55,65,.....}
>>
>> Could someone decompile my app and obtain this key in order to "break" my
>> license code ?
>>
>> Thanks !
>>

> Sure, look at http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/.
>
> Would most of your users probably do that? That depends on how valuable
> it is to them.
>
> --
> Mike

Thanks Mike,

Then how might one go about protecting their code and/or applications
written in .net ?

From: Rob on

"Rob" <robc1(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike(a)ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
>> On 1/9/2010 10:35 AM, Robbie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need to create a license code to be used for my application....
>>>
>>> I am new to Cryptograpgy. I have seen some examples whereby you would
>>> store a Byte pattern in your code. For example encr.key= New Byte()
>>> {55,65,.....}
>>>
>>> Could someone decompile my app and obtain this key in order to "break"
>>> my
>>> license code ?
>>>
>>> Thanks !
>>>

>> Sure, look at http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/.
>>
>> Would most of your users probably do that? That depends on how valuable
>> it is to them.
>>
>> --
>> Mike
>
> Thanks Mike,
>
> Then how might one go about protecting their code and/or applications
> written in .net ?

Ok i see, same website... obfuscator...

From: James Hahn on
You don't have to obfuscate. If it's just a sequence of numbers you can
disguise it in many ways. Just try to separate the storage from the
processing - that way only someone who actually steps through the code will
see the number sequence. Another option is to use a random number generator
with a fixed seed (it will always generate the same sequence). One
technique that I like is two keys where one is used an index into the
other - the first one defines the sequence in which you access the second.
It's simple to code and completely confusing. I'm sure there are many other
similar simple but quite effective tricks.