From: Mirsky on
Hi. My mom has 3000 slides and wants to digitize them. She can't afford
to have a store do it. I just found a cheap scanner on Amazon that scans
slides:

http://amzn.to/9K7DHs

It's even cheaper on buy.com

I can't find any reviews of it anywhere other than Amazon. I'm a little
skeptical that the quality of the scans will be good, but I'm not an
expert on scanners and scanners are much cheaper than they used to be.

So, I'm looking for some opinions on whether it's worth buying the
scanner. It's cheap and mom can afford it. I just don't want her to
spend lots of time scanning if the quality of the scans isn't any good.

Thanks,

From: Ryan McGinnis on
From: Ofnuts on
On 05/08/2010 03:52, Mirsky wrote:
> Hi. My mom has 3000 slides and wants to digitize them. She can't afford
> to have a store do it. I just found a cheap scanner on Amazon that scans
> slides:
>
> http://amzn.to/9K7DHs
>
> It's even cheaper on buy.com
>
> I can't find any reviews of it anywhere other than Amazon. I'm a little
> skeptical that the quality of the scans will be good, but I'm not an
> expert on scanners and scanners are much cheaper than they used to be.
>
> So, I'm looking for some opinions on whether it's worth buying the
> scanner. It's cheap and mom can afford it. I just don't want her to
> spend lots of time scanning if the quality of the scans isn't any good.

It isn't really a scanner, its a low quality camera so it's fundamentaly
the same as a slide duplicator on a camera. But you camera may be lot
better.

--
Bertrand
From: Bruce on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:52:52 -0700, Mirsky <mirsky(a)mirsky.com> wrote:
>Hi. My mom has 3000 slides and wants to digitize them. She can't afford
>to have a store do it. I just found a cheap scanner on Amazon that scans
>slides:
>
>http://amzn.to/9K7DHs
>
>It's even cheaper on buy.com
>
>I can't find any reviews of it anywhere other than Amazon. I'm a little
>skeptical that the quality of the scans will be good, but I'm not an
>expert on scanners and scanners are much cheaper than they used to be.
>
>So, I'm looking for some opinions on whether it's worth buying the
>scanner. It's cheap and mom can afford it. I just don't want her to
>spend lots of time scanning if the quality of the scans isn't any good.

It's junk. There are many of these cheap Chinese-made scanners
around. As you say, they can be bought even more cheaply than the one
linked to. They have poor resolution and very low dynamic range.
Dynamic range is very important when scanning slides - it is slightly
less important with negatives.

At the other end of the scale, there are Nikon scanners costing many
times more. They produce scans of a very high standard and are
suitable for professional use.

You would be better buying a mid-range scanner such as one of the
Plustek OpticFilm range. They offer much higher standards than the
cheap scanner you linked to. They aren't as good as the Nikon
scanners but they are more than good enough for most home use.

The latest Plustek model is the 7600i. It offers very good resolution
but it cannot manage the outstanding dynamic range of Nikon's top of
the range scanners. However, it should be good enough for your
purpose.

There are two 7600i models which differ only in the bundled software.
The 7600i SE is cheaper than the 7600i Ai. The Ai's software is more
sophisticated but it is probably more than you would need.

Here's a review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/PLTK7600/7600.HTM

If you search on Amazon for "plustek opticfilm" you will find the
7600i SE offered at prices from $367.29. After you have scanned the
slides, you should get quite a lot of that back if you sell the
scanner on eBay.

From: bugbear on
Mirsky wrote:
> Hi. My mom has 3000 slides and wants to digitize them. She can't afford
> to have a store do it.

There was a recent thread ("Digitizing Slides")
on this very topic. Perhaps
some of it will be applicable to your
circumstances.

BugBear