From: GilY on
Hmmm... Might it do any good to ask this question again? An Internet
search has turned up nothing but old discussions on the subject,
dating back several years and versions ago about DreamWeaver
"currently interacting with the server." Well maybe (I hope I hope)
someone has an answer for it.

I am helping to manage several sites on the Internet with DreamWeaver
CS4 running on a Mac with Leopard 10.6.2. We have configured check in/
check out for the site to prevent our site admins from stepping on one
another's work. Frequently when I try to upload a file, download a
file, expand a directory within a remote site directory, etc., I get a
pop up dialog box that says, "DreamWeaver is currently interacting
with the server..." bla, bla, bla. Then you have to click the OK
button to clear the dialog box before you can do anything else within
DreamWeaver. I don't think you can just press Enter to clear the
window, because it doesn't have focus. Aach!

I know that this behavior only happens when check in/out is enabled,
but we really need that feature. Has anyone from Adobe ever looked at
this problem? Are they trying to fix it? It's hard to believe from
what I've seen on the web that they don't know about it, but it was in
the last version too.

Is there a way to work around the problem that doesn't involve turning
off check in/out?

I really wonder why, since they put up a dialog box to stop you in
your tracks anyway, why didn't they write this thing just to queue up
the work with an option to cancel out if it takes too long? Surely
this could be managed better than its current design. Every time I see
that message I read it "DreamWeaver is currently preventing you from
doing your work." Yippee.
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message
<11ad83ce-dd32-45b2-84f4-4ea8d532b8c0(a)w16g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>,
GilY <gil.yoder(a)gmail.com> writes
>Hmmm... Might it do any good to ask this question again? An Internet
>search has turned up nothing but old discussions on the subject,
>dating back several years and versions ago about DreamWeaver
>"currently interacting with the server." Well maybe (I hope I hope)
>someone has an answer for it.
>

> Has anyone from Adobe ever looked at
>this problem? Are they trying to fix it? It's hard to believe from
>what I've seen on the web that they don't know about it, but it was in
>the last version too.

Can I suggest that, if you want an Adobe answer - and a lot of other
users - you ask the question in the Adobe Dreamweaver on line forum
through their web site. Sadly Adobe abandoned its Usenet groups,
including this one, last April.

There are still a few of us around here and there may be somebody who
has the answer to your problem but there will be a lot more on the web
site. For my own part, although I have a very similar Mac / OSX10.6.2
CS4 I don't have Check in enabled so unfortunately can't help.

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
From: GilY on
> Can I suggest that, if you want an Adobe answer - and a lot of other
> users - you ask the question in the Adobe Dreamweaver on line forum
> through their web site.  Sadly Adobe abandoned its Usenet groups,
> including this one, last April.

Thank you for that. I'll will do that. I had looked there too though,
and it doesn't seem that they answer much there either.

Gil
From: Eric Wilson on
On Feb 9, 8:35 pm, GilY <gil.yo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm... Might it do any good to ask this question again? An Internet
> search has turned up nothing but old discussions on the subject,
> dating back several years and versions ago about DreamWeaver
> "currently interacting with the server." Well maybe (I hope I hope)
> someone has an answer for it.
>
> I am helping to manage several sites on the Internet with DreamWeaver
> CS4 running on a Mac with Leopard 10.6.2. We have configured check in/
> check out for the site to prevent our site admins from stepping on one
> another's work. Frequently when I try to upload a file, download a
> file, expand a directory within a remote site directory, etc., I get a
> pop up dialog box that says, "DreamWeaver is currently interacting
> with the server..." bla, bla, bla. Then you have to click the OK
> button to clear the dialog box before you can do anything else within
> DreamWeaver. I don't think you can just press Enter to clear the
> window, because it doesn't have focus. Aach!
>
> I know that this behavior only happens when check in/out is enabled,
> but we really need that feature. Has anyone from Adobe ever looked at
> this problem? Are they trying to fix it? It's hard to believe from
> what I've seen on the web that they don't know about it, but it was in
> the last version too.
>
> Is there a way to work around the problem that doesn't involve turning
> off check in/out?
>
> I really wonder why, since they put up a dialog box to stop you in
> your tracks anyway, why didn't they write this thing just to queue up
> the work with an option to cancel out if it takes too long? Surely
> this could be managed better than its current design. Every time I see
> that message I read it "DreamWeaver is currently preventing you from
> doing your work." Yippee.

Sounds like you would be better off disabling Dreamweaver's mom & pop
checkin/checkout functionality and moving to subversion. CS4 has
enough support for subversion to not be somewhat workable and in
addition to solving your issue you get the benefits of version control
as well.