From: CqlBoy on
I have TestDB1 comprised of 5 filegroups, which I've completed full/log
backups to to restore as TestDB2. When data changes within one filegroup on
TestDB1, I've taken a diff' + tlog backup and tried to use it to restore on
TestDB2 so that same filegroup would be essentially refreshed. My execution
sequence uses the last full, last diff', and tlog from TestDB1 but this
doesn't work? Why? Is there a way to do this ? Thx. - CqlBoy

Message applying full backup:
>Processed 16 pages for database 'FGTestRestore', file 'FGTest_fg2' on file 1.
>RESTORE DATABASE ... FILE=<name> successfully processed 16 pages in 0.026 >seconds (4.807 MB/sec).

Message applying diff' backup:
>Processed 16 pages for database 'FGTestRestore', file 'FGTest_fg2' on file 1.
>RESTORE DATABASE ... FILE=<name> successfully processed 16 pages in 0.020 >seconds (6.250 MB/sec).

Message applying diff' log backup:
From: Erland Sommarskog on
CqlBoy (CqlBoy(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I have TestDB1 comprised of 5 filegroups, which I've completed full/log
> backups to to restore as TestDB2. When data changes within one
> filegroup on TestDB1, I've taken a diff' + tlog backup and tried to use
> it to restore on TestDB2 so that same filegroup would be essentially
> refreshed. My execution sequence uses the last full, last diff', and
> tlog from TestDB1 but this doesn't work? Why? Is there a way to do
> this ? Thx. - CqlBoy

You posted a similar question yesterday, to which I posted an answer. For
your convenience, I repeat my answer here:

You can't make it work. You may know that the changes made to the
second filegroup does not cause any violations, but SQL Server doesn't.
Say that FG2 includes a table Products, and FG1 has the table
OrdersDetails. Now in the source database, you delete a product, all
order details where it is referred to. If you were able to restore FG2
in the target databasee, that database would now have OrderDetails with
non-existing products. Still there would be a foreign-key constraint
that would be marked as trusted. That can count as nothing but
corruption.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: