From: Marlacoba on
I'm receiving a 8115 arithmetic overflow error on a DBCC CHECKTABLE.
The clustered index is on a datetime column.
There are 20 million rows.
Version 8.00.2039 - I'm about to patch to 2187.
The indexes were rebuilt without error.

Dan
From: TheSQLGuru on
Can you post the exact message recieved please?

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Marlacoba on
Msg 8115, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric.

Dan

From: Steve Kass on
Dan,

Are there any columns of DECIMAL or NUMERIC type in the table?
If so, exactly what precision and scale? The error you get is one that
occurs with those types - maybe a value in that column is somehow
corrupted.

Steve Kass
Drew University
http://www.stevekass.com

From: Steve Kass on
One more suggestion, from fellow MVP Erland Sommarskog: if the problem
is with a bad DECIMAL/NUMERIC value, the SQL Server 2005 version of
DBCC CHECKTABLE has a WITH DATA_PURITY option that will check
for this.

If this looks possible and you can backup the database, it could be worth
restoring it on a 2005 instance to run this, if you have a 2005 installation
available. (Judging from the documentation for DATA_PURITY, which
mentions databases upgraded from pre-2005 versions, this sort of
problem can probably survive a backup and restore/upgrade.)

Don't forget that I'm still just speculating that bad numeric values
are in fact a possible cause of your problem.

SK