From: M?rio Videira on
Good Afternoon!

Sorry my english! My network has two Win2k Server DC. When i try to promove
a Win2k3 server to DC , that replay me the following message:

An Active Directory domain controller for the domain lda.bna.ao colud not
be contacted.

Ensure that the DNS domain name is typed correctly.

If the name is correct, then click Details for troubleshooting information.

Then i click in Details and that replay the following:

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain
lda.bna.ao:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."

(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.lda.bna.ao

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a domain controller for the domain
are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server
automatically when a domain controller is added to a domain. They are
updated by the domain controller at set intervals. This computer is
configured to use DNS servers with following IP addresses:

195.8.16.29

172.20.0.14

172.20.0.17

172.20.1.208

172.20.1.4

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child
zone:

lda.bna.ao

bna.ao

ao

.. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

That IP for list of IP Address: 195.8.16.29, is strange. eu n sei de onde ?
as maquinas v?o buscar este IP.

How can solve this????

Aquele Abra?o
M?rio Videira

From: Paul Bergson on
See if doing a netdiag /fix on the troubled dc. Also make sure the troubled
dc's dns client is pointing at a dns server.

You could run some diagnostics against your LAN.

To run diagnostics against your Active Directory domain.

If you don't have the tools installed, install them from your server install
disk.
d:\support\tools\setup.exe

Run dcdiag and netdiag in verbose mode.
-> dcdiag /e /c /v /s:DC_Name /f:c:\dcdiag.log
-> netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log

If you download a gui script I wrote it should be simple to set and run. It
also has the option to run individual tests without having to learn all the
switch options. The details will be output in notepad text files that pop
up automagically.

The script is located in the download section on my website at
http://www.pbbergs.com

Just select both dcdiag and netdiag make sure verbose is set. (Leave the
default settings for dcdiag as set when selected)

When complete search for fail, error and warning messages.

--
Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, CNE, CNA, CCA
http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

From: Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] on
before even promoting the server to a DC check if the DNS settings are OK on
the server. Make sure it points to an internal DNS server that hosts the
zone for the AD domain "lda.bna.ao" (if that at least is your domain)

* open a command prompt window
* run: NSLOOKUP _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.lda.bna.ao (do you get an answer or an
error?)
* run: DCDIAG /TEST:DCPROMO /DNSDOMAIN:lda.bna.ao /REPLICADC

I also see: that you installing a w2k3 dc into a w2k AD forest....

do you have exchange 2000?

if you do have exchange 2000 fix the schema FIRST

after that update the schema of the forest (ADPREP /FORESTPREP) and update
the domain (ADPREP /DOMAIN /GPPREP)

for more info see:
http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/archive/2005/11/19/110.aspx

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!

From: Jorge Silva on
Hi Mario

This error is generally related to Bad Dns Configutration.

Can you give more details about what are you trying to acomplish?

1 - Are you trying to add your First Domain Controller?
2 - Are you trying to Add an Aditional DC to a existent domain?
3 - Did you installed Dns Service on the server?
4 - What is the IPAddress configuration of your DC(s)?

--
I hope that the information above helps you

Good Luck
Jorge Silva
MCSA
Systems Administrator