From: Adrian on
Hey all,

Ive ran into this same errors before about 6 months ago when I last ran
DCDiag, but I would like to try and get them resolved now if possible.

My DC passes all tests except the services test

Starting test: Services
* Checking Service: Dnscache
* Checking Service: NtFrs
* Checking Service: IsmServ
* Checking Service: kdc
* Checking Service: SamSs
* Checking Service: LanmanServer
* Checking Service: LanmanWorkstation
* Checking Service: RpcSs
* Checking Service: RPCLOCATOR
* Checking Service: w32time
* Checking Service: TrkWks
* Checking Service: TrkSvr
* Checking Service: NETLOGON
* Checking Service: Dnscache
Could not open IISADMIN Service on [HHDC01]:failed with 1060:
Win32 Error 1060
* Checking Service: NtFrs
Could not open SMTPSVC Service on [HHDC01]:failed with 1060:
Win32 Error 1060
......................... HHDC01 failed test Services

My problem is that I dont have IISadmin or any SMTPSVC running..so I dont
understand why its checking for those services.

Ive been told before that they dont/wont effect my domain, but even so I
would like to understand why its checking for those particuler services.

Something must be pointing to them perhaps from an old install of IIS. I
checked the C:\ drive and It had the \inetpub folder. I deleted that and ran
DCDiag again but the same errors still showed up.

Could another service be pointing to them? Im not sure really where to go
from here. I can of course print my Service list and add to the post if
something thinks its relevant.

Any ideas?

From: Paul Williams [MVP] on
Win32 error 1060 is "The specified service does not exist as an installed
service." as well you know.

I'm not sure why they're being checked, perhaps it's because you've got an
SMTP Site Link defined. If not, ensure that you're running the latest
version of DCDIAG by installing the Windows 2000 Server SP4 Support Tools.
There were some trivial bugs with earlier versions, although most of those
were with NETDIAG.

--
Paul Williams
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

From: Adrian on
Thanks Paul,

I'll try and find out if we have any SMTP site links up.

We have the latest version of the DCdaig tools however I will DL the latest
today with either way to rule them out.

From: Paul Bergson [MVP-DS] on
Have you checked the services within the control panel to see if they are
installed and set to automatic?

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

From: Adrian on
Hi Paul,

Ive ran services.msc and they aren't shown, Ive also checked under
Add/Remove Software -> Windows Componants and they arent installed their
either.

We have BrightStor ArcServe v9 running on this server I think perhaps it
could be some piece of that maybe? This DC is also a print server so perhaps
some piece of Print Software tried to install IIS at some time.

Again its a server I have inherited so Im not sure of its history, what has
been installed / removed over the years.