From: Loose Wombat on
Jack -

Thanks for the quick response. I'm on the client site right now, and I have
new information.

One thing is that we are now seeing this problem multiple times per day,
whereas the DHCP lease time is set for 24 hours. Also, when the computer
does get a new lease, after restarting the router, it's the same address as
before.

The other thing to note is that this is started happening just last week,
though the network configuration, DHCP setup, etc., hasn't changed. At
first, the client thought the problem was related to the DSL line itself, so
had an AT&T tech come out to look. They replaced the DSL modem, for no
reason that I can see.

Changing the DHCP lease time is simple on this router, but I don't think it
will help, given that the error occurs well before the lease has expired.

I would suspect a hardware problem with the PC's network interface, except
for the fact that the errors occur pretty much simultaneously on two machines
at once. This, of course, points to the router.

Again, I appreciate the response. If you have any other ideas, I'd be happy
to hear them, as I'm baffled so far. I'll be pursuing the router angle and
will report back to this thread if I find an answer.

From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?TG9vc2UgV29tYmF0?= <LooseWombat(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:B5503786-41DF-4DD2-A4E7-F6DF12D91154(a)microsoft.com:

> Thanks for the quick response. I'm on the client site right now,
> and I have new information.
>
> One thing is that we are now seeing this problem multiple times
> per day, whereas the DHCP lease time is set for 24 hours. Also,
> when the computer does get a new lease, after restarting the
> router, it's the same address as before.
>
> The other thing to note is that this is started happening just
> last week, though the network configuration, DHCP setup, etc.,
> hasn't changed. At first, the client thought the problem was
> related to the DSL line itself, so had an AT&T tech come out to
> look. They replaced the DSL modem, for no reason that I can see.
>
> Changing the DHCP lease time is simple on this router, but I don't
> think it will help, given that the error occurs well before the
> lease has expired.

Being that resetting the router temporarily fixes the problem plus that
multiple machines on the subnet are affected points squarely at the
router itself. First, I would try a Factory Reset on the router
(usually hold the reset button down for 10 seconds while powered up),
then I would check the router manufacturer's website for router
firmware upgrades and if that doesn't help, then swap out the router.

HTH,
John

From: Loose Wombat on
Agreed. The router is the obvious culprit, though I had to consider the
possibility that the PCs were doing something that was corrupting the routers
DHCP clients table or something like that.

I've been avoiding doing the factory reset on the router, but it's a good
suggestion.

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
I agree it might be time for new Router, or RMA this one if it is under some
sort of warrantee / service contract.