From: Rhino on
I'm using Windows with XP SP2 on a nearly new computer (18 months old).

My CD/DVD burning software is Nero OEM 6.3.1.26. (InCD is 4.2.12.1.)
Whenever I attempt to burn a new CD or DVD, I get a message from Nero DMA
Manager saying "This application has detected that your drive is not in DMA
(direct memory access) mode. To improve your system performance we suggest
you to enable DMA for all drives. Do you wish to run Nero DMA Manager to
enable DMA mode right now?"

I have clicked OK and rebooted (after it was done) on several occasions but
I keep getting this message. I've checked Device Manager and found that both
Primary IDE Channels and both Secondary IDE Channels indicate a Transfer
Mode of "DMA if available" for both devices in their Advanced Settings.

1. It looks as if the settings are correct so why am I still getting the
message?
2. Is it possible that I am actually using DMA despite the message? How
could I be sure?
3. Is it possible that a CD/DVD burner manufactured within the last couple
of years would _not_ support DMA? I thought that only very old drives didn't
necessarily handle DMA. What would I need to know about the device to
determine if it supports DMA? The burner is a Lite-on DH-20A4H 20x DVDRW.

I'd like to get the DMA mode working if it isn't, assuming that it will
actually speed up the burning process. If it doesn't speed up burning or
have some other major benefit, then I can live with it the way it is ;-)

Suggestions?
--
Rhino

From: Jim on

"Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please(a)example.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows with XP SP2 on a nearly new computer (18 months old).
>
> My CD/DVD burning software is Nero OEM 6.3.1.26. (InCD is 4.2.12.1.)
> Whenever I attempt to burn a new CD or DVD, I get a message from Nero DMA
> Manager saying "This application has detected that your drive is not in
> DMA (direct memory access) mode. To improve your system performance we
> suggest you to enable DMA for all drives. Do you wish to run Nero DMA
> Manager to enable DMA mode right now?"
>
> I have clicked OK and rebooted (after it was done) on several occasions
> but I keep getting this message. I've checked Device Manager and found
> that both Primary IDE Channels and both Secondary IDE Channels indicate a
> Transfer Mode of "DMA if available" for both devices in their Advanced
> Settings.
>
> 1. It looks as if the settings are correct so why am I still getting the
> message?
> 2. Is it possible that I am actually using DMA despite the message? How
> could I be sure?
> 3. Is it possible that a CD/DVD burner manufactured within the last couple
> of years would _not_ support DMA? I thought that only very old drives
> didn't necessarily handle DMA. What would I need to know about the device
> to determine if it supports DMA? The burner is a Lite-on DH-20A4H 20x
> DVDRW.
>
> I'd like to get the DMA mode working if it isn't, assuming that it will
> actually speed up the burning process. If it doesn't speed up burning or
> have some other major benefit, then I can live with it the way it is ;-)
>
> Suggestions?
> --
> Rhino

Remove the CD driver(s) and reboot. This is the usual method of fixing
your problem.

Windows XP changes the mode to PIO rather than DMA if there ever is an error
on the drive whether it is currently recording errors or not.

Jim

From: Greg Russell on

> I've checked Device Manager and found that both
> Primary IDE Channels and both Secondary IDE Channels indicate a Transfer
> Mode of "DMA if available" for both devices in their Advanced Settings.
>
> 1. It looks as if the settings are correct so why am I still getting the
> message?
> 2. Is it possible that I am actually using DMA despite the message? How
> could I be sure?
> 3. Is it possible that a CD/DVD burner manufactured within the last couple
> of years would _not_ support DMA? I thought that only very old drives
didn't
> necessarily handle DMA. What would I need to know about the device to
> determine if it supports DMA? The burner is a Lite-on DH-20A4H 20x DVDRW.

Many devices require a jumper to be set in order to utilize DMA ... check
the manufacturer's data sheet for the device.

From: Johnw on
After serious thinking Rhino wrote :
> I'm using Windows with XP SP2 on a nearly new computer (18 months old).
>
> My CD/DVD burning software is Nero OEM 6.3.1.26. (InCD is 4.2.12.1.) Whenever
> I attempt to burn a new CD or DVD, I get a message from Nero DMA Manager
> saying "This application has detected that your drive is not in DMA (direct
> memory access) mode. To improve your system performance we suggest you to
> enable DMA for all drives. Do you wish to run Nero DMA Manager to enable DMA
> mode right now?"
>
> I have clicked OK and rebooted (after it was done) on several occasions but I
> keep getting this message. I've checked Device Manager and found that both
> Primary IDE Channels and both Secondary IDE Channels indicate a Transfer Mode
> of "DMA if available" for both devices in their Advanced Settings.
>
> 1. It looks as if the settings are correct so why am I still getting the
> message?
> 2. Is it possible that I am actually using DMA despite the message? How could
> I be sure?
> 3. Is it possible that a CD/DVD burner manufactured within the last couple of
> years would _not_ support DMA? I thought that only very old drives didn't
> necessarily handle DMA. What would I need to know about the device to
> determine if it supports DMA? The burner is a Lite-on DH-20A4H 20x DVDRW.
>
> I'd like to get the DMA mode working if it isn't, assuming that it will
> actually speed up the burning process. If it doesn't speed up burning or have
> some other major benefit, then I can live with it the way it is ;-)
>
> Suggestions?

How to enable DMA in Windows XP (with pictures)
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1712829-post5.html
http://www.cdrlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7625
Problems enabling DMA on IDE drives
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsxp/articles/249/1/Problems-enabling-DMA-on-IDE-drives
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=81131
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=81131&mpage=2&key=
http://www.burstcopy.com/dma/xp/

From: Rhino on

"Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please(a)example.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows with XP SP2 on a nearly new computer (18 months old).
>
> My CD/DVD burning software is Nero OEM 6.3.1.26. (InCD is 4.2.12.1.)
> Whenever I attempt to burn a new CD or DVD, I get a message from Nero DMA
> Manager saying "This application has detected that your drive is not in
> DMA (direct memory access) mode. To improve your system performance we
> suggest you to enable DMA for all drives. Do you wish to run Nero DMA
> Manager to enable DMA mode right now?"
>
> I have clicked OK and rebooted (after it was done) on several occasions
> but I keep getting this message. I've checked Device Manager and found
> that both Primary IDE Channels and both Secondary IDE Channels indicate a
> Transfer Mode of "DMA if available" for both devices in their Advanced
> Settings.
>
> 1. It looks as if the settings are correct so why am I still getting the
> message?
> 2. Is it possible that I am actually using DMA despite the message? How
> could I be sure?
> 3. Is it possible that a CD/DVD burner manufactured within the last couple
> of years would _not_ support DMA? I thought that only very old drives
> didn't necessarily handle DMA. What would I need to know about the device
> to determine if it supports DMA? The burner is a Lite-on DH-20A4H 20x
> DVDRW.
>
> I'd like to get the DMA mode working if it isn't, assuming that it will
> actually speed up the burning process. If it doesn't speed up burning or
> have some other major benefit, then I can live with it the way it is ;-)
>
> Suggestions?

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll get back to you if they don't pan
out but I'm optimistic that one of these will solve the problem.

--
Rhino