From: David Kelsey on
I have XP Home, AMD 1.1 processor, 1.5 MB Ram, 80 GB hard drive.
System went to sleep suddenly, and now will not wake. I can run in Safe
Mode, but 'Normal' results in scrambled screen and revert to safe mode. I
have restored several times to different dates. Hard drive reports normal,
and no errors shown in Device Manager. Startup goes through normal Windows
splash screen, but breaks up at the point when Windows would normally run.
Screen then goes to sleep, and cannot be woken. This is one of two computers
on a network - the other is Win XP Pro, and is running normally. I am going
to try to remove the last Microsoft update and possibly the latest
Superantispyware update, although the troubles began before this installed
fully. Any ideas please?

David Kelsey

From: Bert Hyman on
In news:E6A9C363-F863-4DFC-86DE-094FC56C8F72(a)microsoft.com "David
Kelsey" <david_kelseyNO(a)SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> Any ideas please?

Sounds like your video card (or possibly the monitor) might have failed,
and the screen goes blank when Windows switches to the normal display
mode after the boot completes.

The boot sequence and safe mode operate at a lower resolution, and I
think even use a built-in generic VGA-mode video driver; if I'm wrong
about this, I'm sure someone will be along in a few minutes to correct
me :-)

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: thecreator on
Hi David,

From your description of your computer, it is kind of old.

I would say that your Ram Sticks are overheating and it is freezing when
it is in Sleep Mode and that's why you can't wake it up. I would also
replace the Computer BIOS Battery at the same time.

Replace the hottest Stick of Memory, after you open up the computer.

How many Memory Sticks are installed?

--
thecreator

From: Unknown on
You most certainly are a creator. A creator of poor diagnosis.

From: Ol�rin on
Well, feel free to actually advise what you see as the correct one then,
rather than just making this non-contribution. You know - being
constructive?