From: HeyBub on
David Kelsey wrote:
> I have XP Home, AMD 1.1 processor, 1.5 MB Ram, 80 GB hard drive.
> System went to sleep suddenly, and now will not wake. I can run in
> Safe Mode, but 'Normal' results in scrambled screen and revert to
> safe mode. I have restored several times to different dates. Hard
> drive reports normal, and no errors shown in Device Manager. Startup
> goes through normal Windows splash screen, but breaks up at the point
> when Windows would normally run. Screen then goes to sleep, and
> cannot be woken. This is one of two computers on a network - the
> other is Win XP Pro, and is running normally. I am going to try to
> remove the last Microsoft update and possibly the latest
> Superantispyware update, although the troubles began before this
> installed fully. Any ideas please?
> David Kelsey

If you get a usable screen in safe mode, but no other, there's something
amiss with the video.

Your most likely suspects are:

* "Normal" setting is for a resolution not supported by your video card or
monitor
* The video driver for your card/screen has suffered bit-rot and needs to be
replaced/updated
* The cable connecting your PC and monitor is not plugged in properly or has
a corroded connector
* Other

From: Mark Adams on

"David Kelsey" wrote:

> I have XP Home, AMD 1.1 processor, 1.5 MB Ram, 80 GB hard drive.
> System went to sleep suddenly, and now will not wake. I can run in Safe
> Mode, but 'Normal' results in scrambled screen and revert to safe mode. I
> have restored several times to different dates. Hard drive reports normal,
> and no errors shown in Device Manager. Startup goes through normal Windows
> splash screen, but breaks up at the point when Windows would normally run.
> Screen then goes to sleep, and cannot be woken. This is one of two computers
> on a network - the other is Win XP Pro, and is running normally. I am going
> to try to remove the last Microsoft update and possibly the latest
> Superantispyware update, although the troubles began before this installed
> fully. Any ideas please?
>
> David Kelsey
>
> .

Sounds like the video driver might need to be updated. If the quality of the
picture you get in safe mode is what you would typically expect from safe
mode, there is probably nothing wrong with the monitor or the video adapter.
Go to the website of the computer's maker, or if you built it yourself; the
maker of the video adapter (add in card) or the mainboard's maker (on board
video) and download the latest video driver. Restart the machine in "VGA
Mode". This uses the basic Windows driver. Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove
Programs and uninstall the video driver. Reboot the machine in VGA Mode again
and install the downloaded driver. Reboot the machine again and reset the
video resolution to the native resolution of your monitor.