From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/13/2010 11:38 AM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Tim Wescott wrote:
>
>> On 06/13/2010 08:54 AM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
>> (top posting fixed)
>>

>> > To begin with: FPGA doesn't mate with low jitter. No matter what
>> > filtering is, you can expect jitter in ~100ps range, due to coupling on
>> > the crystal. This is rather poor performance. If you need better then
>> > that, do a specialized analog circuit.
>>
>> You you mean coupling on the semiconductor substrate?
>
> Yes. The coupling inside is substantial, and it dominates over other
> sources of disturbance. It is evident if you look at the spectrum.
>
>> FPGA's make jitter, but I've always assumed it was random noise at the
>> gates, rather than noise getting coupled in.
>>
>> In either case, there is a limit to how well you can do with an FPGA,
>> beyond which you have to use more clever circuitry.
>
> Signals generated by general purpose digital parts such as CPUs and
> FPGAs have rather poor jitter; I was surprised to see that parts
> advertized as "low jitter clock generators" are usually no better.

The OP needs to cross-post this question over to sci.electronics.design,
under the heading "low jitter digital circuitry". Maybe they'll stop
talking politics long enough to actually make a positive contribution!

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Randy Yates on
Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> writes:

> Tim Wescott wrote:
>
>> On 06/13/2010 08:54 AM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
>> (top posting fixed)
>>

>> > To begin with: FPGA doesn't mate with low jitter. No matter what
>> > filtering is, you can expect jitter in ~100ps range, due to coupling on
>> > the crystal. This is rather poor performance. If you need better then
>> > that, do a specialized analog circuit.
>>
>> You you mean coupling on the semiconductor substrate?
>
> Yes. The coupling inside is substantial, and it dominates over other
> sources of disturbance. It is evident if you look at the spectrum.
>
>> FPGA's make jitter, but I've always assumed it was random noise at
>> the gates, rather than noise getting coupled in.
>>
>> In either case, there is a limit to how well you can do with an
>> FPGA, beyond which you have to use more clever circuitry.
>
> Signals generated by general purpose digital parts such as CPUs and
> FPGAs have rather poor jitter; I was surprised to see that parts
> advertized as "low jitter clock generators" are usually no better.

You came across this in some of your Class D designs, Vladimir?
--
Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
Digital Signal Labs % things were so uncomplicated?"
From: Randy Yates on
PS: I found what looks like a great analysis of this
effect:

http://www.imse.cnm.es/esd-msd/WORKSHOPS/IMEC2001/presentations.htm#1a

--Ry

--
Randy Yates % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
Digital Signal Labs % the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"
From: crasic on

>"Or let the DPLL run as open loop"
>
>Do you mean if you feed a constant to your NCO, whatever that may be?
>If that's the case, then your problem is your reference clock. This is
>backed up by your results with that Stanford Research Systems function
>generator -- your DPLL will see it's reference clock as "truth" even if
>it's jittery. Give it a jittery reference clock and feed it the World's
>Cleanest Signal as input and it'll see jitter in that input and "clean"
>it right up.

>Tim Wescott
>Control system and signal processing consulting
>www.wescottdesign.com

This DPLL design runs at a frequency set at with an output divider, it is
essentially a pulse-steal design that adds or subtracts fast clock pulses
to the base frequency. The capture range for a 100MHz clock is
approximately 0.1f_set so with the center frequency of ~700Khz we get a
8Khz bandpass.

If the signal is outside the lockrange or there is no signal applied the
pll runs at its open loop frequency set by the divider.

>To begin with: FPGA doesn't mate with low jitter. No matter what
>filtering is, you can expect jitter in ~100ps range, due to coupling on
>the crystal. This is rather poor performance. If you need better then
>that, do a specialized analog circuit.
>
>Vladimir Vassilevsky
>DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
>http://www.abvolt.com

The end design will have some additional digital circuitry on the board in
the form of an ADC and control circuitry so if there are any digital
non-fpga solutions that could supplement our fpga filter I'm open to it. We
are trying to replace specialized (power hungry and expensive as well!)
analog circuitry with a digital solution so going back to it would be
pretty redundant!

Could we potentially expect better performance with a programmable logic
chip instead of an FPGA?

The clock source is a generic crystal generator. Unfortunately I didn't
have the chance to measure the clock jitter and measuring it now through
the fpga results in some crazy readings (~1hz at 50 Mhz, or 100 times worse
than our pll output jitter)
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Randy Yates wrote:

> Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> writes:
>

>>Signals generated by general purpose digital parts such as CPUs and
>>FPGAs have rather poor jitter; I was surprised to see that parts
>>advertized as "low jitter clock generators" are usually no better.
>
> You came across this in some of your Class D designs, Vladimir?

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading; although in the real world
they rarely give out *any* jitter specs for digital parts. Yes, jitter
is crucial in Class D; and this is one of the reasons why naive digital
amplifiers have mediocre performance. Other area where it matters is the
RF signal generation.