From: iquitted on
I've been backing up my DVD's by recompressing them with DVD2oneX or
DVDRemaster, and then burning them with Toast 6 Titanium. Usually this
works fine, but I've got a couple of DVD's that have been giving me
problems. I can copy them on to my hard drive with no problem, and
recompress them with no problem, but when I start to actually burn
them, I get this error message: "The drive reported an error. Sense
key = medium error. Sense code = 0x73, 0x03" This happens after I've
burned about 15 minutes of video, so it wastes a blank DVD. I even
tried creating a disk image first, and the image file is always created
with no problem. But, once again, as soon as I start burning, I get
the error message.

Is there a way to solve this? Should I use a different burning
application?

Thanks.
Jeremy <jeremyseanbell(a)yahoo.com>

From: sbt on
In article <1127531235.483881.261540(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<iquitted(a)collegeclub.com> wrote:

> I've been backing up my DVD's by recompressing them with DVD2oneX or
> DVDRemaster, and then burning them with Toast 6 Titanium. Usually this
> works fine, but I've got a couple of DVD's that have been giving me
> problems. I can copy them on to my hard drive with no problem, and
> recompress them with no problem, but when I start to actually burn
> them, I get this error message: "The drive reported an error. Sense
> key = medium error. Sense code = 0x73, 0x03" This happens after I've
> burned about 15 minutes of video, so it wastes a blank DVD. I even
> tried creating a disk image first, and the image file is always created
> with no problem. But, once again, as soon as I start burning, I get
> the error message.
>
> Is there a way to solve this? Should I use a different burning
> application?
>
> Thanks.

Medium Error means that the drive is reporting an error on attempting
to write the disc (usually a bad block/sector). Have you recently
changed brand of DVD-Rs?

--
Spenser
From: Robert Peirce on
In article <1127531235.483881.261540(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
iquitted(a)collegeclub.com wrote:

> I've been backing up my DVD's by recompressing them with DVD2oneX or
> DVDRemaster, and then burning them with Toast 6 Titanium. Usually this
> works fine, but I've got a couple of DVD's that have been giving me
> problems. I can copy them on to my hard drive with no problem, and
> recompress them with no problem, but when I start to actually burn
> them, I get this error message: "The drive reported an error. Sense
> key = medium error. Sense code = 0x73, 0x03"

I can't say if this is related but I had been using Toast for a long
time without problems. Then it suddenly started giving me errors on
EVERY DVD write. I tested using iPhoto and OS X and got good writes so
I abandoned Toast.

The forum on their web site indicates a lot of problems which I have
become convinced are with the software, not the drive or the DVDs. This
may be unfortunate in that I had a couple spindles of DVDs years ago
that always gave me problems. It never occurred to me to try iPhoto or
OS X. I just assumed the DVDs were defective. There is a good chance
they weren't.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

From: iquitted on
Well, I haven't changed my brand of DVD-R's. The DVD-R's I use work
fine most of the time. The problem only happens when I try to back up
certain DVD's, so I don't think it has anything to do with my brand of
DVD-R's.

Pages: 1
Next: iDVD6 - Loading Themes