From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 11:49:02 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
<e925(a)SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:

> "tatar" <afe(a)ersoy.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Windows XP SP3
> > I have two DVDs BenQ DVD-RW connected to the end of IDE cable as Slave and
> > Pioneer DVR-A18L as Master. Without any disk inserted if I double click on
> > Slave I see the drive figure as the Address but it does not ask me to
> insert
> > a disk into the drive. What is happening and how can I correct it?
>
> The chap who assembled my custom PC in 2005 told
> me the Master should be the R/W drive placed at the end
> of the IDE cable and the RO drive should be (jumpered)
> Slave in the intermediate position.

Did he tell why he said that? I'm not an expert on hardware, but as
far as I know, it makes no difference, and he's not correct.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Twayne on
In news:bq4fr5trudkjbha9c0rmrvvaomej8ji4l9(a)4ax.com,
Ken Blake, MVP <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 11:49:02 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
> <e925(a)SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> "tatar" <afe(a)ersoy.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> Windows XP SP3
>>> I have two DVDs BenQ DVD-RW connected to the end of IDE
>>> cable as Slave and Pioneer DVR-A18L as Master. Without
>>> any disk inserted if I double click on Slave I see the
>>> drive figure as the Address but it does not ask me to
>>> insert a disk into the drive. What is happening and how
>>> can I correct it?
>>
>> The chap who assembled my custom PC in 2005 told
>> me the Master should be the R/W drive placed at the end
>> of the IDE cable and the RO drive should be (jumpered)
>> Slave in the intermediate position.
>

> Did he tell why he said that? I'm not an expert on
> hardware, but as far as I know, it makes no difference, and
> he's not correct.

I saw that same instruction in a couple places when an RW and
just R optical drives were involved. The only explanation was
that R was more similar to a regular drive than an RW which
had specific needs. Never fully understood any of them
though.
Next time, if there is a next time, I think I'll check out
the externals - USB connected seems to work better and the
USB3 is sure going to provide plenty of bandwidth. Right now
at least there isn't much price diff between internals and
externals - just like with external backup drives. I know
one guy has 3 of them stacked; one for music and the other two
for copying back & forth, as I do also, esp with backups to
DVD every quarter.
Must be lots of wiggle room built into their profit
margins.

HTH,

Twayne`

First  |  Prev  |