From: tatar on
Windows XP SP3
I have two DVDs BenQ DVD-RW connected to the end of IDE cable as Slave and
Pioneer DVR-A18L as Master. Without any disk inserted if I double click on
Slave I see the drive figure as the Address but it does not ask me to insert
a disk into the drive. What is happening and how can I correct it?

From: glee on
"tatar" <afe(a)ersoy.co.uk> wrote in message
> Windows XP SP3
> I have two DVDs BenQ DVD-RW connected to the end of IDE cable as Slave
> and Pioneer DVR-A18L as Master. Without any disk inserted if I double
> click on Slave I see the drive figure as the Address but it does not
> ask me to insert a disk into the drive. What is happening and how can
> I correct it?

I see the same here. I open My Computer, double-click my master optical
drive and receive a popup message to insert disc.
Double-click my slave optical drive and it just opens a folder window.

My guess is that this is "normal" behaviour, at least on PATA optical
drives (which is all I have here...hard drive is SATA).

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Etaoin Shrdlu on
On 4/3/2010 2:35 AM, tatar wrote:
> Windows XP SP3
> I have two DVDs BenQ DVD-RW connected to the end of IDE cable as Slave and
> Pioneer DVR-A18L as Master. Without any disk inserted if I double click on
> Slave I see the drive figure as the Address but it does not ask me to insert
> a disk into the drive. What is happening and how can I correct it?

I have two optical drives on the secondary IDE channel and I get the
"Please insert a disc" message for both. Have you verified that the
jumpers are in the correct position on each drive?
From: Twayne on
In news:e1UP6Aw0KHA.264(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
tatar <afe(a)ersoy.co.uk> typed:
> Windows XP SP3
> I have two DVDs BenQ DVD-RW connected to the end of IDE
> cable as Slave and Pioneer DVR-A18L as Master. Without any
> disk inserted if I double click on Slave I see the drive
> figure as the Address but it does not ask me to insert a
> disk into the drive. What is happening and how can I
> correct it?

That's a tricky one, believe it or not. Your symptoms are
mostly typical of many people, myself included, but they both
work properly, right?
I ordered my new machine with two optical drives installed
and that machine asks you to insert media regardless of which
one gets asked. They're IDE and both on one cable, but I
didn't pull out the units to see whether they were
slave/master/auto or what. The closest I cam on the other
machine was to put them both on one IDE with master/slave
settings. Anything else and one or the other drives would
cause an error.
Google has a lot of informaiton on this and the answer
seems to depend on the cpu, chip set, IDE version and a lot of
other things. I never did figure it out. I'd suggest spending
some time with Google and see what you can come up with. IIRC
dual was good as part of the serach terms.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Don Phillipson on
"tatar" <afe(a)ersoy.co.uk> wrote in message

> Windows XP SP3
> I have two DVDs BenQ DVD-RW connected to the end of IDE cable as Slave and
> Pioneer DVR-A18L as Master. Without any disk inserted if I double click on
> Slave I see the drive figure as the Address but it does not ask me to
insert
> a disk into the drive. What is happening and how can I correct it?

The chap who assembled my custom PC in 2005 told
me the Master should be the R/W drive placed at the end
of the IDE cable and the RO drive should be (jumpered)
Slave in the intermediate position.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs