From: Ismo Salonen on
DeadDancers wrote:
> The DVD drive is only a year old.
>
> If it is damaged somehow, it must be the result of the sudden power loss.. I
> guess.
>
> I don't understand how it can read data and audio discs perfectly well but
> stuggle with dvds, if it is in fact a physical problem and not a software
> issue.

Audio discs have different focus requirements ( 650MB vs 4.7 GB in
capacity) as the data is packed more dense. The lense might have small
dust particle which prevents reading dvds but does not matter for cds.

ismo
From: T Shadow on
"Ismo Salonen" <ismo(a)codeit.fi> wrote in message
> DeadDancers wrote:
>> The DVD drive is only a year old. If it is damaged somehow, it must be
>> the result of the sudden power loss.. I guess. I don't understand how it
>> can read data and audio discs perfectly well but stuggle with dvds, if it
>> is in fact a physical problem and not a software issue.
>
> Audio discs have different focus requirements ( 650MB vs 4.7 GB in
> capacity) as the data is packed more dense. The lense might have small
> dust particle which prevents reading dvds but does not matter for cds.
>
> ismo

The drive has two lasers. One for CD and another for DVD. With 6X the data
in the same space its not surprising the DVD is usually the one to go.

If th OP is saying it will read data DVD but not a video DVD, it could be a
codec or other softwar problem.