From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:48:50 -0400, piscesboy <oraclmaster(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to find the name of my dvd device in Linux, so I use:

With a recent kernel, I'd expect it to be /dev/sr0. Most
distributions will create symlinks such as /dev/cdrom, and /dev/dvd
pointing to the device.

What distribution and version are you using?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: piscesboy on
On Jun 12, 2:26 pm, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:48:50 -0400, piscesboy <oraclmas...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to find the name of my dvd device in Linux, so I use:
>
> With a recent kernel, I'd expect it to be /dev/sr0.  Most
> distributions will create symlinks such as /dev/cdrom, and /dev/dvd
> pointing to the device.
>
> What distribution and version are you using?
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> --
> Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
> use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

Fedora 13 on a MacBook Pro. Kernel version 2.6.33

I followed Aragorn's advice and found a symlink from /dev/cdrom -> /
dev/sr0.