From: John Murphy on
> On 14/07/2010 21:31, John Murphy wrote:

> >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.org.mensa/browse_thread/thread/c...

> > This rec.org.mensa debate is interesting, though no mention of the
> > consequences if the vast store of methane (est.125k psi) escapes! A
> > tsunami would ensue, maybe 25m. Kevin Smith Show alleged some families
> > already moving out.
> > --
> > Harbinger

> No it won't.http://io9.com/5585294/methane-bubble-doomsday-story-debunked

And then 'Doomsday Story Debunked' may be itself debunked, then the
debunked debunked ... . [That's enough debunking. Ed.]

I'd move out, and as I fear danger more than anything I have known in
my life, I plan to move in, and then, as quickly as possible, move
out, and after that, to decrease risk, I'd move in and move out again
and again. And because there is saftey in numbers, that Uncle Al and
that Uncle Zook will move in and out with me, and that Uncle Truelove
will also move in an out with us all, but will only follow us out of
curiosity as to what we might be up to ... .[That's enough moving in
and out. Ed.]
*******
I fear for the engieers and scientists on the BP payroll. Did the guy
ever sit down with them, beer and sandwiches, jeans, open-necked
shirt? 'Hell, guys, this has been a great evening!'

That would have been a great evening for them and for him!

Cost accountancy, though! Too late now!
***************************************************************************­
***********
And:

CEO [glass in hand, swanning away]:
How lovely to see you both. Your evening gown is so cleverely
unoriginal. I think we may have a few red-necked, beer-swilling Texans
here tonight, Cynthia. Do look after them, won't you.

Elmer (IQ 165 Chem., Physics, PhD, electrodynamics: typical Texan,
though):
Jeez, guy, ain't you our boss? Great to meet you! I've gotta a few
probs about Mexico Gulf drilling, not good. I know this is a social,
but maybe you could give me a minute or two ... .

CEO:
Not now, but please do get something off to me. [Aside.] Cynthia, this
is Elmer, please look after him.

Elmer:
You're a fine-looking girl! How'd you get mixed up with these weirdos?

Cynthia:
'You ain't that bad yourself'[mockingly]. After university I attended
a secretarial school in Swizerland. Am I safe with you [primly]?

Elmer [amused and happy]:
Sure, though I am glad your mother did something to get you here. You
know a pub nearby?

Cynthia:
Wait outside while I freshen up.
***************************************************************************­
**************

CEO [to PA]:
Where is Cynthia! Two more of those tiresome bores. Only she knows how
to cope with them.
***************************************************************************­
***************

Anyway, I hope some cheeky lawyers will FOIA BP in preparation for a
class action, and offer an affordable fee to the several hundred
thousand whose lives have been damaged.

Particularly intersesting will be the risk assessment files.
******
The Late Paleocene Thermal Maximum was major indigestion for Earth,
maybe upping the temperature by 2%. Oceans are evolutionally
connected, the Carolinas is considered higher in CH4, but the Gulf is
very, very high in CH4.

http://environmentalism.suite101.com/article.cfm/methane-and-arsenic-...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100618/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_met...

******
Excerpts:

BP spokesman Mark Proegler disputed Joye's suggestion that the Gulf's
deep waters contain large amounts of methane, noting that water
samples taken by BP and federal agencies have shown minimal underwater
oil outside the spill's vicinity.

"The gas that escapes, what we don't flare, goes up to the surface and
is gone," he said.

********
"At least 4.5 billion cubic feet of natural gas — and possibly almost
twice that amount — have leaked since April 20. That's based on
estimates from the U.S. Geological Survey's "flow team" that 2,900
cubic feet of natural gas are escaping for every barrel of oil.

This is the most vigorous methane eruption in modern human history,"
said John Kessler, a Texas A&M University oceanographer.

Scientists, including those working with the flow team, estimate that
methane makes up between 40 percent and 70 percent of what is spilling
into the Gulf."
*******
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2005/11/11/1070889.htm

From the latter:

'This Methane Bubbling Effect, which happens in the Bermuda Triangle,
could also explain some of the strange disappearances ... .

But the Disaster Scenarios get even more extreme than that. Some
scientists reckon that about 55.5 million years ago, about one
trillion tonnes of methane bubbled to the surface over a very short
period, about 1,000 years (that's about 30 tonnes per second), and
heated up the planet by about 2°C. Other scientists agree, but crank
up the drama by suggesting that a lot of this methane burnt in massive
firestorms. Regardless of how extreme this was, it goes under the
official name of the Late Paleocene Thermal Maximum.'

http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/methane_hydrates.html

Extracts:

'Studies indicate there could be as much as 200 trillion cubic feet of
this gas hydrate for US energy use alonr.

'... a number of drilling rigs have in fact accidentally bored into
beds of methane hydrates and slowly succumbed to the less dense water,
sinking to the bottom.

However, none of this was so fast that they could not be observed by
helicopters and recorded somewhere.
--
Harbinger.
From: Don Stockbauer on
On Jul 17, 5:20 pm, John Murphy
<london.accommodation.homest...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 15 July, 18:56, John Murphy
>

> <london.accomm

"Daffodil, daffodil, give me your answer, do.
I'm 1/2 crazy, falling in love with you,
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage ,
But you'll look sweet,
Upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.
From: John Murphy on
On 18 July, 05:04, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 5:20 pm, John Murphy
>
> <london.accommodation.homest...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 15 July, 18:56, John Murphy
>
> > <london.accomm
>
> "Daffodil, daffodil, give me your answer, do.
> I'm 1/2 crazy, falling in love with you,
> It won't be a stylish marriage,
> I can't afford a carriage ,
> But you'll look sweet,
> Upon the seat
> of a bicycle built for two.

Sorry, Don, I ain't that way inclined. Look elsewhere. It is a sign of
the times that you can be so frank!

And don't worry, I ain't got nothing against gays.

We used to follow gals around, saying, 'If I had a swing like that,
I'd keep it in my back garden! Or (lots of bangles and stuff), 'Do you
suffer from metal fatigue?

In the meantime, re BP, look in Utube for 17 segments of the
congressional interviews (C-Span) with evasive BP Hayward - a trained
geologist! He seemed to know nothing about anything.

One Congressman was so exasperated that he was led to say, 'Anyone of
us could do your job.'

['Daffodils' was a way past half a dozen attemps to post something
neg. about BP.]
--
Harbinger

From: Don Stockbauer on
On Jul 18, 9:40 pm, John Murphy
<london.accommodation.homest...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 18 July, 05:04, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 17, 5:20 pm, John Murphy
>
> > <london.accommodation.homest...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > On 15 July, 18:56, John Murphy
>
> > > <london.accomm
>
> > "Daffodil, daffodil, give me your answer, do.
> > I'm 1/2 crazy, falling in love with you,
> > It won't be a stylish marriage,
> > I can't afford a carriage ,
> > But you'll look sweet,
> > Upon the seat
> > of a bicycle built for two.
>
> Sorry, Don, I ain't that way inclined. Look elsewhere. It is a sign of
> the times that you can be so frank!

Tsk, tsk, you think the "you" was aimed at you? No. Just a little
spoof on the "Daisy" of 2001 fame, the reference to which you were not
astute enough to catch, being excessively focussed on queers. Pity.

Have a wonderful day.
From: John Murphy on
On 19 July, 03:51, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 9:40 pm, John Murphy
> <london.accommodation.homest...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 18 July, 05:04, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > "Daffodil, daffodil, give me your answer, do.
> > > I'm 1/2 crazy, falling in love with you,
> > > It won't be a stylish marriage,
> > > I can't afford a carriage ,
> > > But you'll look sweet,
> > > Upon the seat
> > > of a bicycle built for two.
>
> > Sorry, Don, I ain't that way inclined. Look elsewhere. It is a sign of
> > the times that you can be so frank!
>
> Tsk, tsk, you think the "you" was aimed at you?  No.  Just a little
> spoof on the "Daisy" of 2001 fame, the reference to which you were not
> astute enough to catch, being excessively focussed on queers. Pity.
>
> Have a wonderful day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAgrzy7nLc

No, Don, I knew about Daisy, and merely wished to disambiguate such an
arcane reference. Nobody here understood it! My mum was a Texan, by
the way!

U2!,

John.

(Almost anyone of us would have done better than Hayward, even given
only a few days to mug up on the stuff. )