From: suek on
I have a huge problem. I am not able to print any PDF that I download. the
message I am getting is re Data Execution prevention. So I changed the
settings so I "Turn on DEP except for thos programs that I select (and
included Adobe Acrobat in the list to check to turn DEP off.). Hasn't made a
difference, despite restart after restart no change. Windows is up to date,
Adobe is up to date, have firewall cannot think of any other items to check.
The error message is always the error re DEP. Any suggestions?
From: Jose on
On Mar 17, 3:59 am, suek <s...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a huge problem. I am not able to print any PDF that I download.  the
> message I am getting is re Data Execution prevention.  So I changed the
> settings so I "Turn on DEP except for thos programs that I select (and
> included Adobe Acrobat in the list to check to turn DEP off.).  Hasn't made a
> difference, despite restart after restart no change.  Windows is up to date,
> Adobe is up to date, have firewall cannot think of any other items to check.
> The error message is always the error re DEP.  Any suggestions?

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) messages mean that Windows feels
threatened by some program running on your computer, so it shuts it
down. This is actually a good thing since Windows recognizes the
threat and is trying to prevent further damage.

You could tell Windows that the program is okay by making an exception
for the program, but this is generally not a good idea. You have not
fixed the underlying problem and have made your computer vulnerable to
attack by choosing to ignore the threat. This is not how to use the
DEP feature.

DEP errors frequently happen in Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer
and they can be fixed without yielding to the first temptation which
is to create an exception. That is not fixing the problem.

Do you see it in IE (what is the IE version) or Windows Explorer?

Has it ever worked?

Is it all PDF files or just ones from a particular site and if it is
not an intrusion of your privacy, tell us the site and document and
somebody else can try it.

Can you print the same document from another computer?

If you can post the exact message you see, we will not have to guess
about things.

I don't know what you mean by "up to date" but we will know about your
Windows when you do the following.

To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional
information about your system.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

The current Adobe Reader version is 9.3.1

If you only see this problem when printing PDF files you download,
either the files are suspicious or your Adobe is suspicious. It is
easy to uninstall Adobe from Add/Remove Programs and reinstall the
9.3.1 version.

Anything you download from the Internet can be a threat to your
system. Be sure you have a reliable source, email yourself a PDF file
that you know is safe and prints okay on another computer, etc. and
try to print it. Is it only the files you download from a particular
site or all PDF files?

I would not tamper with the DEP settings on your computer for
something as simple as printing a PDF file that works all over the
world without adding a DEP exception - that is not the way to use the
DEP feature. XP feels threatened.

From: HeyBub on
suek wrote:
> I have a huge problem. I am not able to print any PDF that I
> download. the message I am getting is re Data Execution prevention.
> So I changed the settings so I "Turn on DEP except for thos programs
> that I select (and included Adobe Acrobat in the list to check to
> turn DEP off.). Hasn't made a difference, despite restart after
> restart no change. Windows is up to date, Adobe is up to date, have
> firewall cannot think of any other items to check. The error message
> is always the error re DEP. Any suggestions?

Easy fix:
1. Ditch Adobe Reader, then
2. Install Foxit Reader.

Foxit is faster, has a smaller footprint, also free, and doesn't call the
mother ship for instructions.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Save the PDF file to your HDD then open it in Adobe Reader to print it
(instead of accessing the PDF file in IE).