From: OREALLY on
Hi,

Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 7 w/o losing programs and data?

Thanks,

Oreally
From: someone watching on
"OREALLY" <oreally(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 7 w/o losing programs and data?

If you are using XP you can 'upgrade' to Vista. From Vista you can upgrade
to W7. There may be other methods but MS has not made it so XP users can
instantly go from XP to W7... and I'm not sure why!

From: LD55ZRA on
No unless you go by intermediate stage via vista as "Someone Watching" has
posted.

You really need to do a clean install of ANY new operating system because
this gives you the opportunity to start afresh and so if there are any
problems then you know it is Windows 7 nothing else. Or the time factor of
installing is also critical. Clean install always takes less time than
upgrade install and in Windows 7 this is crucial unless you want to spend
whole weekend doing it.

hth

From: Greg Russell on
In news:uhV86kYxKHA.3560(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
someone watching <nospam(a)bogusaddress.com> typed:

> MS has not made it so XP users can instantly go from
> XP to W7... and I'm not sure why!

It's called money. It's the only thing M$ cares about.

From: SC Tom on

"LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Clean install always takes less time than upgrade install and in Windows 7
> this is crucial unless you want to spend whole weekend doing it.
>
> hth

That's not necessarily true. Took me 45 minutes to upgrade from Vista to
Win7. I've done clean installs of Win2k and XP that took way longer than
that since you have to consider that with a clean install, you have to
reinstall all of your other programs after the OS installation. Add that
time up and it's a lot more than a simple upgrade. I haven't done an
Xp-Vista-Win7 upgrade, but I can't imagine it being more than a leisurely
evening to do if the installer has checked to make sure his hardware and
software is compatible with both Vista and Win7.
--
SC Tom