From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:08:59 -0500, milt
<theatreguy_dunspam_(a)miltsweb.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/2010 10:40 PM, OREALLY wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 7 w/o losing programs and data?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Oreally
>
> Not really, you could just do the upgrade path but that is sure to lead
> to problems and odd behavior.

Sorry, but assuming that OREALLY is running Windows XP, that's not
correct. There is no upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7.

> Your best bet is to back up your data
> (pictures, docs, music, etc.) then format the drive and do a clean
> install, that is your best chance of having a trouble-free install.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: JessicaD on

Greg Russell,

There are several reason why we at Microsoft do not support an in place
upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. We realized at the start of this
project that the �upgrade� from XP would not be an experience we think
would yield the best results. There are simply too many changes in how
PCs have been configured (applets, hardware support, driver model, etc.)
that having all of that support carry forth to Windows 7 would not be
nearly as high quality as a clean install. This is something many of you
know and already practice. We do provide support for moving files and
settings and will prompt at setup time, but applications will need to be
reinstalled. We know that for a set of customers this tradeoff seems
less than perfect, but we think the upfront time is well worth it.

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows
7, please go here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee150430.aspx

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
A member of the Windows Client team posting via supernews.com? I don't
think so...

From: Greg Russell on
In news:JessicaD.48qr1w(a)no.email.invalid,
JessicaD <JessicaD.48qr1w(a)no.email.invalid> typed:

> We realized at the start of this project that the "upgrade" from XP
> would not be an experience we think would yield the best results.

April Fool's Day isn't until April 1st, today.