From: Twayne on
In news:O4YfTOYxKHA.3560(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
OREALLY <oreally(a)comcast.net> typed:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 7 w/o losing programs
> and data?
> Thanks,
>
> Oreally

No, for your application programs; they all have to be reinstalled from the
original CDs.

Yes for you data. Backup ALL of your important data first, then Restore it
after the install is complete. Xcopy makes a good native backup copier for
copying to a safe location such as an external drive.

HTH,

Twayne`
--
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a

From: Twayne on
In news:80bkq4Fh8cU1(a)mid.individual.net,
Greg Russell <grussell(a)invalid.com> typed:
> In news:uhV86kYxKHA.3560(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
> someone watching <nospam(a)bogusaddress.com> typed:
>
>> MS has not made it so XP users can instantly go from
>> XP to W7... and I'm not sure why!
>
> It's called money. It's the only thing M$ cares about.

You're called uneducated/inexperienced. They are two entirely different
animals.

From: Twayne on
In news:e9NZ4QcxKHA.1796(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
SC Tom <sc(a)tom.net> typed:
> "LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:hnpnf4$u03$1(a)speranza.aioe.org...
>> Clean install always takes less time than upgrade install
>> and in Windows 7 this is crucial unless you want to spend
>> whole weekend doing it. hth
>
> That's not necessarily true. Took me 45 minutes to upgrade
> from Vista to Win7. I've done clean installs of Win2k and
> XP that took way longer than that since you have to
> consider that with a clean install, you have to reinstall
> all of your other programs after the OS installation. Add
> that time up and it's a lot more than a simple upgrade. I
> haven't done an Xp-Vista-Win7 upgrade, but I can't imagine
> it being more than a leisurely evening to do if the
> installer has checked to make sure his hardware and
> software is compatible with both Vista and Win7.

But surely you must agree that backing up is important anytime any action
has to do with the OS? Far too many people live without backups of their
data. The slightest glitch that leaves the OS corrupted easily leads to
loss of all data.

Twayne`

From: Greg Russell on
In news:ORlQ25exKHA.5940(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Twayne <nobody(a)spamcop.net> typed:

> Hmm, there's a news item!

Where.

From: Greg Russell on
In news:uQ90m5exKHA.3408(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Twayne <nobody(a)spamcop.net> typed:

>>> MS has not made it so XP users can instantly go from
>>> XP to W7... and I'm not sure why!
>>
>> It's called money. It's the only thing M$ cares about.
>
> They are two entirely different animals.

So keep giving M$ all your money.