From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:12:39 +1100, Terry Heinz
<no-emails(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:07:47 -0500, Unknown wrote:
>
> >You don't think the OS needs backing up??? When your internal drive goes bad
> >you'll wish you backed up everything.
>
> If I had a backup of my OS and the internal drive goes bad what use would
> the backup be to me.
>
> There is nothing on C: that needs to be backed up.
> I would need to replace the internal drive and reinstall the operating
> system.

And reinstall and reconfigure all your programs. And reconfigure
Windows the way you like it.

Depending on how many programs you have installed, which programs they
are, and to what extent you have them and Windows itself personally
configured, that could be a minor job or a major job. If you believe
it would be a minor job for you, fine--don't back up C:. But doing
that would be a major job for many people and take a significant
amount of their time.

Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome, you may
have trouble with some of them: can you find all your application CDs?
Can you find all the needed installation codes? Do you even remember
all the customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
everything work the way you like?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Unknown on
If my internal drive goes bad, I simply install a new drive and then copy my
external to the internal. Roughly
30 minutes time.

From: Bill in Co. on
Terry Heinz wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:53:14 -0400, SC Tom wrote:
>
>> "Terry Heinz" <no-emails(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> If I had a backup of my OS and the internal drive goes bad what use
>>> would
>>> the backup be to me.
>>>
>>> There is nothing on C: that needs to be backed up.
>>> I would need to replace the internal drive and reinstall the operating
>>> system.
>>>
>>> All my valuable data is on D: & E: drive and is carefully backed up.
>>>
>>> It'd be handy in future before you reply to a post, you first read it.
>>
>> That's why I use a good imaging program. When the HDD in my notebook
>> crashed, I was back up and running in less than an hour with everything
>> the
>> same as it was at the last image, no reinstallation of anything. By
>> imaging
>> to an external drive, I also eliminate the possibility of destruction of
>> the
>> backup on an internal drive by malware, lightning strike, etc.
>> You may have your programs installed on your D: drive, but if you C:
>> drive
>> crashes, odds are when you reinstall your OS, you'll have to reinstall
>> some
>> of those programs also since almost every Windows program writes files
>> and
>> registry entries to the OS. If you have to format a new drive and
>> reinstall
>> the OS, all of that is lost and the programs won't run.
>
> That is true I generally need to reinstall many of the programs on D:
>
>> Much easier to image it and not have to go through all that, IMHO :-)
>
> Can you suggest a program I could use to do the imaging?

Acronis True Image. If you buy it in the box it comes with a bootable CD,
too, in case you ever needed that.

From: SC Tom on

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:26:40 -0600, Bill in Co. wrote:
>
>>Terry Heinz wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you suggest a program I could use to do the imaging?
>>
>>Acronis True Image. If you buy it in the box it comes with a bootable
>>CD,
>>too, in case you ever needed that.
>
> Thanks Bill, I looked around and "Acronis True Image" seems to be popular
> so I downloaded and installed it.
> --
>
> Terry Heinz.

Bill beat me to it, but that's what I use and would have recommended also.
If you haven't already bought it, you can get a free version if you own a
Seagate, Maxtor, or Western Digital HDD. Here are the links to those:

WD version of ATI:
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Seagate/Maxtor Disc Wizard by ATI:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

They are not the full-blown versions with scheduling and all that, but work
just fine in a home environment, IMHO. You don't to have any of the drives
installed internally. If you're using an external USB/Firewire/eSATA drive
manufactured by them, it qualifies. I image my drives to an external WD and
have no problems with the software.
--
SC Tom

From: milt on
On 3/16/2010 10:40 PM, OREALLY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to upgrade to Windows 7 w/o losing programs and data?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oreally

Not really, you could just do the upgrade path but that is sure to lead
to problems and odd behavior. Your best bet is to back up your data
(pictures, docs, music, etc.) then format the drive and do a clean
install, that is your best chance of having a trouble-free install.