From: Thomas J on
Hi

I am trying to setup database logging with IIS 7. I am following these
instructions:
http://weblogs.asp.net/steveschofield/archive/2007/12/20/iis7-post-57-how-to-setup-odbc-logging-in-iis-7-0.aspx

This is not working and I am receiving the following error in the
System event log:
"The World Wide Web Publishing Service (WWW Service) did not configure
logging for site 1. The data field contains the error number."

This is the same problem that has been experienced here:
http://forums.iis.net/t/1154908.aspx

This is a x64 W2K8 environment. SQL Server is 2008

I have tried the following:
- Logging to a remote SQL Server and logging to a local SQL Express
2008 instance. Same problem.
- Turning on ODBC tracing. No log file was created.
- Turning on SQL Profiler. Nothing was captured.
- Tried all the three SQL Server ODBC clients (SQL Server, Native
Clients, Native Clients 10). No difference
- SQL Server user is a Sys Admin
- Tried using Named Pipes and tried TCP/IP. No difference. (BTW Named
Pipes is enabled on the SQL Servers)
- Cross referenced my configuration with this article:
http://blogs.iis.net/rakkimk/archive/2008/04/16/how-to-configure-iis-7-0-for-odbc-logging.aspx
and checked my appcmd parameters a hundred times. Still no difference.
- UAC is turned off.

I believe this is a problem in IIS. This Event Viewer error message
always appears during the Start phase of an IISRESET, even before a
web resource is even access.

From the applicationHost.config here is the odbcLogging section
<odbcLogging dataSource="InternetDB" tableName="inetlog"
userName="IISLogsUser"
password="[enc:AesProvider:J5roPFr1OyiT4EmFUm1AjeoY3KJF0uGyLaKp9DSBKZE=:enc]" /

and here is the Site section:
<site name="Microsoft Dynamics CRM" id="1"
serverAutoStart="true">
<application path="/" applicationPool="CRMAppPool">
<virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\inetpub
\wwwroot" />
</application>
<application path="/ISV/Praxa/Praxa.Web"
applicationPool="CRMAppPool">
<virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\inetpub
\wwwroot\ISV\Praxa\Praxa.Web" />
</application>
<application path="/Help"
applicationPool="CRMAppPool">
<virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\inetpub
\wwwroot\Help" />
</application>
<bindings>
<binding protocol="http" bindingInformation=":
80:" />
</bindings>
<logFile customLogPluginClsid="{FF16065B-DE82-11CF-
BC0A-00AA006111E0}" logFormat="Custom" enabled="true" />
</site>

I have spent a full day on this, and my client cannot justify anymore
time. I really hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Regards,
TJ
From: Jeffrey Ingalls on
Hi TJ,
I read through the links you provided and have a few questions.

1. Are you also running W2K8 and/or SQL Server 2008 on VMWare as the other
person was in the iis.net forums?

2. Does the website work normally (processes web requests) using W3SVC
Format?

I noticed in Steve Schofield's Weblog he installed SQL Server 2005 locally
on the webserver and you are attempting to do similiar but with SQL Server
2008 either remotely or installed locally. I'll see if I can try to
reproduce your error in my lab this evening but in the meantime go with the
local install of SQL Express 2008 on the webserver and use a tool like
Process Monitor to capture what is happening. We need to find a way to get
more details around that "ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER" error message.

This may take me a few days to get back to you due to up coming holiday but
I'll follow up with you by the weekend on what I find in my lab.

Process Monitor

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

All the best,
Jeffrey Ingalls

From: Thomas J on
Hi Jeffrey

1) Yes, both web and SQL server are run under VMWare. We are using ESX
3.5 update 4. Four Sun Servers x4140 are clustered. All data is stored
on a Fibre channel based SAN storage array.

2) Yes, when I choose the WSC format the log files are generated at
the specified location.

I will have a shot with Process Monitor and post back the results
soon.

Thank you for helping me on this one.
TJ
From: Thomas J on
Hi Jeffrey

I took a Process Monitor capture as I was running the 'appcmd set
sites' command, which is also when the issue is thrown to the System
event log.

You can download the capture from the following location (available
for 10 day):
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&send_id=781802597&email=22d4bea53477bfc0e225ebc69ee2d307

Another difference between my setup and the blog setup is I am logging
on a site called "Microsoft Dynamics CRM" rather than "Default Web
Site". The "Microsoft Dynamics CRM" site is the only site in IIS and
is on port 80.

The commands I used to configure IIS were:
appcmd set sites "Microsoft Dynamics CRM" -logFile.logFormat:Custom -
logFile.customLogPluginClsid:{FF16065B-DE82-11CF-BC0A-00AA006111E0}
appcmd set config -section:ODBCLogging -datasource:InternetDB -
tableName:inetlog -username:IISLogsUser -password:P(a)SSwoRD

Thanks again
TJ
From: Steve Schofield on
Hi Thomas,

Do you have the custom logging module set on the site?

I'll see if I can reproduce with sql 2008. By default, sql2k8 doesn't allow
remote connections, has this been enabled? Are there any firewalls between
the web and db server?

Steve Schofield
Microsoft MVP - IIS