From: Stefan Berglund on
On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:28 -0400, "Robert Morley"
<rmorley(a)magma.ca.N0.Freak1n.sparn> wrote:
in <OLntcvuoHHA.4512(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>

>You'd want to check with someone who's more "up" on the internals of modern
>database optimization, but I suspect that a database might well be able to
>better optimize a BETWEEN clause than it would using the "normal" relational
>operators.

The SQL experts that I read suggest that the relational operators are
more specific than the BETWEEN and that it is therefore preferred
primarily for that reason.

---
Stefan Berglund
From: Robert Morley on
That's an interesting possibility. It probably varies by platform.

Rob

From: Luiz Horacio on
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help.

> Assuming, for now, that you're reading these dates as text strings then
> the
> first problem is a lot easier than you think. VB understands that date
> format because it's part of the ISO 8601 standard. For instance:

I'll try this.

> In your second question, did you mean a VB query or a SQL query?

I meant a SQL query.

Thanks,

Luiz Horacio

From: Luiz Horacio on
Hi Jeff,

> If this is a true date field then data is NOT stored with ANY format.
> Formats are for display, which is to say, formats are for strings. Numbers
> are numbers are numbers are numbers.

It is a Date/time field. I can understand that numbers are numbers, and that
it is not stored in any format (never thought of this...), but since SQL
query returns those numbers (or whatever is stored in DB) in that specific
format, and queries need that specific format to work, the specific
displayed format is what matters. Am I wrong?

> so welcome to the club.

Thanks. :))

Thanks,

Luiz Horacio