From: JimLad on
On 24 Jan, 10:39, Alexey Smirnov <alexey.smir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 7:24 pm, JimLad <jamesdbi...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Just use <globalization uiCulture="en-GB" culture="en-GB" /> and your
> > > date will be automatically shown in UK format. You will not need to
> > > bother about format in <%# Bind(...)%> statement. ASP.NET uses web
> > > application settings from the web.config file. It doesn't rely on
> > > client or server settings.- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks.
>
> > How would I set the Culture and UI Culture for the BLL and DAL layers
> > in separate VB.NET dlls?
>
> > James
>
> CultureInfo.CurrentCulture
>
> If you use dates you normally don't need it. If any string comparisons
> must be done, either use current culture or a culture-invariant string
> comparison.
>
> CultureInfo.CurrentCulture
> CultureInfo.InvariantCulture
>
> More about CultureInfohttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.globalization.culturei...
>
> Hope this helps- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. That's what I thought. However I've recently been stuggling
with BLL Validation and when and where it should occur.

I have a Gridview using an ObjectDataSource. This is a standard thing
that I'll be doing on loads of pages and I will be creating a template
for this.

So obviously I can validate in the Gridview_Updating event. However,
nothing is typed at this point so I would have to type everything
manually. Things are typed in ObjectDataSource_Updating, but by then
I've lost the e.cancel function and would have to raise an exception
to cancel.
Returning to Gridview_Updating I can pass the typed values I need
individually or I can pass the IOrderDictionary of values, newvalues
or keys. However these are untyped and I would have to them type them
in the BLL layer so I've rejected this option.

Or I can Validate in the BLL layer in the Update function. I have a
Generic List of validation failures to return and I also want to keep
the entered values on the page, not refresh the page if there are
validation problems. The only way to prevent the page from refreshing
seems to be to return an exception to GridView_Updated. I could create
a new Exception which contains the Validation Error Generic List. But
I have always thought that Exceptions should not be raised for
standard functionality like this?

Basically I want to limit bespoke validation functionality to the BLL
layer and not have to do manual typing on the UI layer. But I can't
seem to find a way of doing that without raising exceptions.

Any advice would be very welcome. If these are the only 2 options,
which should I do? I realise it would take very little effort to type
values manually on the UI side for each page, but I always like to
standardise code where possible.

James

From: JimLad on
On 25 Jan, 10:54, JimLad <jamesdbi...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24 Jan, 10:39, Alexey Smirnov <alexey.smir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks.
>
> > > How would I set the Culture and UI Culture for the BLL and DAL layers
> > > in separate VB.NET dlls?
>
> > > James
>
> > CultureInfo.CurrentCulture
>
> > If you use dates you normally don't need it. If any string comparisons
> > must be done, either use current culture or a culture-invariant string
> > comparison.
>
> > CultureInfo.CurrentCulture
> > CultureInfo.InvariantCulture
>
> > More about CultureInfohttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.globalization.culturei...
>
> > Hope this helps- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks. That's what I thought. However I've recently been stuggling
> with BLL Validation and when and where it should occur.
>
> I have a Gridview using an ObjectDataSource. This is a standard thing
> that I'll be doing on loads of pages and I will be creating a template
> for this.
>
> So obviously I can validate in the Gridview_Updating event. However,
> nothing is typed at this point so I would have to type everything
> manually. Things are typed in ObjectDataSource_Updating, but by then
> I've lost the e.cancel function and would have to raise an exception
> to cancel.
> Returning to Gridview_Updating I can pass the typed values I need
> individually or I can pass the IOrderDictionary of values, newvalues
> or keys. However these are untyped and I would have to them type them
> in the BLL layer so I've rejected this option.
>
> Or I can Validate in the BLL layer in the Update function. I have a
> Generic List of validation failures to return and I also want to keep
> the entered values on the page, not refresh the page if there are
> validation problems. The only way to prevent the page from refreshing
> seems to be to return an exception to GridView_Updated. I could create
> a new Exception which contains the Validation Error Generic List. But
> I have always thought that Exceptions should not be raised for
> standard functionality like this?
>
> Basically I want to limit bespoke validation functionality to the BLL
> layer and not have to do manual typing on the UI layer. But I can't
> seem to find a way of doing that without raising exceptions.
>
> Any advice would be very welcome. If these are the only 2 options,
> which should I do? I realise it would take very little effort to type
> values manually on the UI side for each page, but I always like to
> standardise code where possible.
>
> James- Hide quoted text -

I am reposting this as a new topic.
James