From: Iain Sharp on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 06:25:03 -0700 (PDT), Philipp Post
<post.philipp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Yeah, that's mostly what I was afraid of. I was hoping that there was a timezone offset as an attribute of a database user or something which would do this for me universally. <
>
>If your users do not travel much and you know where they work you
>could store the UTC offset in the user profile and use DATEDIFF to
>compute the UTC. Downside is that you will have to alter the user
>settings based on local summer / winter time rules.
>
>brgds
>
>Philipp Post

Yes I certainly could. If I wasn't waiting for my application
programming language to fix a bug which prevents it from doing exactly
this for me, I probably would. However, there are hundreds of
date-time columns, and I think missing one or two would be worse than
knowing that the dates were all off by the same factor.

If there's no generic 'environment' switch or function for this, then
I have a backup plan, but thanks for your suggestion.

Iain