From: Toolpackinmama on
My friend has a dead emachines 1161-03. The thing is only a year old.
Symptoms: it was working fine then suddenly died.

No lights, no fans, nothing.

I installed a compatible new PSU in it thinking that would fix it. Nope.

No lights, no fans, nothing.

If it's not the PSU what else might it be?

I inspected the motherboard and I don't see anything obviously wrong
with it. There are no funny (burned) smells.
From: Sjouke Burry on
Toolpackinmama wrote:
> My friend has a dead emachines 1161-03. The thing is only a year old.
> Symptoms: it was working fine then suddenly died.
>
> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>
> I installed a compatible new PSU in it thinking that would fix it. Nope.
>
> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>
> If it's not the PSU what else might it be?
>
> I inspected the motherboard and I don't see anything obviously wrong
> with it. There are no funny (burned) smells.
Check the cmos battery, some boards dont show any
response when that battery is flat.
From: Bryce on
Toolpackinmama wrote:

> My friend has a dead emachines 1161-03. The thing is only
> a year old. Symptoms: it was working fine then suddenly
> died.
>
> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>
> I installed a compatible new PSU in it thinking that would
> fix it. Nope.
>
> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>
> If it's not the PSU what else might it be?
>
> I inspected the motherboard and I don't see anything
> obviously wrong
> with it. There are no funny (burned) smells.

Perhaps the power-on pushbutton? Try momentarily jumpering
the pair of pins on the motherboard header that are
connected to that button.
From: GlowingBlueMist on
Bryce wrote:
> Toolpackinmama wrote:
>
>> My friend has a dead emachines 1161-03. The thing is only
>> a year old. Symptoms: it was working fine then suddenly
>> died.
>>
>> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>>
>> I installed a compatible new PSU in it thinking that would
>> fix it. Nope.
>>
>> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>>
>> If it's not the PSU what else might it be?
>>
>> I inspected the motherboard and I don't see anything
>> obviously wrong
>> with it. There are no funny (burned) smells.
>
> Perhaps the power-on pushbutton? Try momentarily jumpering
> the pair of pins on the motherboard header that are
> connected to that button.

Both the CMOS Battery and the Power On button are good choices.
If their suggestions do nothing to resolve the problem it's time to take a
picture of the motherboard showing where everything is connected and then
pull everything but the CPU and Fans. Memory, and any optional cards need
to go.

Then watch the CPU and other fans while powering on the system. If they
momentarily power on and then stop it may be a bad CPU fan. At the least
you should get a beep or two from the motherboard complaining about the
missing memory and stuff. If not then the problem sounds like either the
motherboard or CPU. Unless you have a compatible CPU or motherboard to test
with it's time to look into a replacement motherboard kit (with CPU).

From: jinxy on
On Dec 30, 8:03 am, "GlowingBlueMist" <GlowingBlueM...(a)truely.invalid>
wrote:
> Bryce wrote:
> > Toolpackinmama wrote:
>
> >> My friend has a dead emachines 1161-03.  The thing is only
> >> a year old. Symptoms: it was working fine then suddenly
> >> died.
>
> >> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>
> >> I installed a compatible new PSU in it thinking that would
> >> fix it.  Nope.
>
> >> No lights, no fans, nothing.
>
> >> If it's not the PSU what else might it be?
>
> >> I inspected the motherboard and I don't see anything
> >> obviously wrong
> >> with it.  There are no funny (burned) smells.
>
> > Perhaps the power-on pushbutton?  Try momentarily jumpering
> > the pair of pins on the motherboard header that are
> > connected to that button.
>
> Both the CMOS Battery and the Power On button are good choices.
> If their suggestions do nothing to resolve the problem it's time to take a
> picture of the motherboard showing where everything is connected and then
> pull everything but the CPU and Fans.  Memory, and any optional cards need
> to go.
>
> Then watch the CPU and other fans while powering on the system.  If they
> momentarily power on and then stop it may be a bad CPU fan.  At the least
> you should get a beep or two from the motherboard complaining about the
> missing memory and stuff.  If not then the problem sounds like either the
> motherboard or CPU.  Unless you have a compatible CPU or motherboard to test
> with it's time to look into a replacement motherboard kit (with CPU).- Hide quoted text -

It looks as if it carries a one year warranty. If you are still within
the year take it back. Let them repair or replace at their cost.
-J