From: Sthu Deus on
Good day.

Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
structure: which dir. is for what.

Having separated programs from data w/ diver partitions, I have put the following

/home
/pub
/var

on a single partition. All is working well, except I want to be as
close to Debian standards as I can yet reaching my goals, therefore I
would to know what is the best place for those in FS structure, and,
may, Debinish way.

For now I have located it all in /var/local so that it looks like:

/var/local/home
/var/local/pub

But it is just my guess. So if You have a standard knowledge on the
item, or can share w/ me on such a Debian guide, please, share it w/ me.

Thank You for Your time.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:01:10 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
> structure: which dir. is for what.

(...)

I've found this:

***
Debian Policy Manual
Chapter 9 - The Operating System
9.1 File system hierarchy
9.1.1 File System Structure

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html
***

Not sure if that suits your needs :-?

Additional docs:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 16:01 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Having separated programs from data w/ diver partitions, I have put the following
>
> /home
> /pub
> /var

/pub -- this is not part of the FHS and you might want to search for a
better place. What kind of data do you have here?

Judging from the name, I think you might want to name that "/srv", but
who knows.

> on a single partition. All is working well, except I want to be as
> close to Debian standards as I can yet reaching my goals, therefore I
> would to know what is the best place for those in FS structure, and,
> may, Debinish way.
>
> For now I have located it all in /var/local so that it looks like:
>
> /var/local/home
> /var/local/pub

You do not stop to surprise/frighten me :)

You typically create a bunch of partitions, or logical volumes if you
use LVM, and mount them to the correct path.

Let's assume you have 2 partitions, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. You want to
seperate your user's data from the operating system and therefore
decide to mount /dev/sda1 as / and /dev/sda2 as /home. There is
absolutely no need to mount them somewhere else and in particular no
need to mount them to /var/local.

Your /etc/fstab would contain lines like:

/dev/sda1 / ext3 ????? 0 1
/dev/sda2 /home ext4 ????? 0 2

Good luck
--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :
From: Robert Holtzman on
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:18:33AM +0000, Camale�n wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:01:10 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>
> > Yet, do You know a guide or something that explains the *Debian* FS
> > structure: which dir. is for what.
>
> (...)
>
> I've found this:
>
> ***
> Debian Policy Manual
> Chapter 9 - The Operating System
> 9.1 File system hierarchy
> 9.1.1 File System Structure
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html
> ***
>
> Not sure if that suits your needs :-?
>
> Additional docs:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

He will never buy the last two links. They don't say they are the
"Official Debian Way".

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
From: francis southern on
Is it my imagination or has no one mentioned 'man hier'?
I suppose it's not the most detailed account, but it's got a nice
overview and a link to the Filesystem Hierarchy standard; I was happy
when I found it.

Francis