From: ralph on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:53:41 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>MM wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:16:36 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:
>>> "ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It's still freely downloadable from the link you provided.
>>
>> I've just downloaded ALL the items on that page. In these days of
>> massive hard drives, plus DVD blanks for a few cents/pennies each,
>> I've got nothing to lose by grabbing them while they're still
>> available.
>
>They've already been taken down, at least once. Last time I noticed, I
>rattled cages at MSFT until someone woke-up, and promised to get them
>back online. Of course, no one knew where they were at that point. So
>I pointed them to http://vb.mvps.org/tools/ControlsAndComponents.asp.
>Notice any similarities? Yeah, they didn't know what the binaries
>were, anymore, either. It's good to know I'm not the *only* one
>providing backup storage for them anymore. ;-)

Definitely appreciate the service. Hopefully everything is well
catalogued.

Though the years I have meticulously grabbed items (source, utilities,
articles, ...) and stored them away. Have quite a useful collection,
well ... kinda useful.

They now all occupy several cubic meters in a closet. Now if I could
only identify just where in that pile something was located ...

-ralph
From: Karl E. Peterson on
ralph wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:53:41 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> MM wrote:

>>> I've just downloaded ALL the items on that page. In these days of
>>> massive hard drives, plus DVD blanks for a few cents/pennies each,
>>> I've got nothing to lose by grabbing them while they're still
>>> available.
>>
>> They've already been taken down, at least once. Last time I noticed, I
>> rattled cages at MSFT until someone woke-up, and promised to get them
>> back online. Of course, no one knew where they were at that point. So
>> I pointed them to http://vb.mvps.org/tools/ControlsAndComponents.asp.
>> Notice any similarities? Yeah, they didn't know what the binaries
>> were, anymore, either. It's good to know I'm not the *only* one
>> providing backup storage for them anymore. ;-)
>
> Definitely appreciate the service. Hopefully everything is well
> catalogued.
>
> Though the years I have meticulously grabbed items (source, utilities,
> articles, ...) and stored them away. Have quite a useful collection,
> well ... kinda useful.
>
> They now all occupy several cubic meters in a closet. Now if I could
> only identify just where in that pile something was located ...

One of my main regrets is that I wasn't aware of (maybe it didn't
exist?) WinImage at the time I started archiving MS-BASIC bits. :-(

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: ralph on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:07:56 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>One of my main regrets is that I wasn't aware of (maybe it didn't
>exist?) WinImage at the time I started archiving MS-BASIC bits. :-(

Mine is not immediately converting all my 5 1/4 floopies to 1.44 or CD
when I actually had a working machine that could do that. <g>

-ralph
From: Helmut Meukel on

"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:07:56 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>

>>One of my main regrets is that I wasn't aware of (maybe it didn't
>>exist?) WinImage at the time I started archiving MS-BASIC bits. :-(
>
> Mine is not immediately converting all my 5 1/4 floopies to 1.44 or CD
> when I actually had a working machine that could do that. <g>
>
> -ralph

I still have a working(?) 5 1/4 floppy drive. About three years ago i got
a new PC and thought I would there install the old drive. No chance, the
BIOS refused to recognize the drive. :-(
I'm quite certain the drive is ok. It was ok when I removed it from an
old PC and wrapped it into a plastic bag, about 15 years ago.

Helmut.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Helmut Meukel wrote:
>>>One of my main regrets is that I wasn't aware of (maybe it didn't
>>>exist?) WinImage at the time I started archiving MS-BASIC bits. :-(
>>
>> Mine is not immediately converting all my 5 1/4 floopies to 1.44 or CD
>> when I actually had a working machine that could do that. <g>
>
> I still have a working(?) 5 1/4 floppy drive. About three years ago i got
> a new PC and thought I would there install the old drive. No chance, the
> BIOS refused to recognize the drive. :-(
> I'm quite certain the drive is ok. It was ok when I removed it from an
> old PC and wrapped it into a plastic bag, about 15 years ago.

I stored a few old machines. Including a Pentium-200 that I rebuilt
with Win95b about 5 years ago. It had both floppy sizes, CD, and Zip
drives. I can bring that up on the network just by hauling it out of
storage and plugging it in. (Had to be careful to hang onto the old
keyboard with the *fat* plug, and a serial mouse, too!)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last