From: Larry Serflaten on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

> I stored a few old machines. Including a Pentium-200 that I rebuilt
> with Win95b about 5 years ago. It had both floppy sizes, CD, and Zip
> drives. I can bring that up on the network just by hauling it out of
> storage and plugging it in. (Had to be careful to hang onto the old
> keyboard with the *fat* plug, and a serial mouse, too!)

Geek.

<gd&r>
LFS

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote
>
>> I stored a few old machines. Including a Pentium-200 that I rebuilt
>> with Win95b about 5 years ago. It had both floppy sizes, CD, and Zip
>> drives. I can bring that up on the network just by hauling it out of
>> storage and plugging it in. (Had to be careful to hang onto the old
>> keyboard with the *fat* plug, and a serial mouse, too!)
>
> Geek.
>
> <gd&r>

Yeah? <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message news:exKi0aLwKHA.5340(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
: Larry Serflaten wrote:
: > "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote
: >
: >> I stored a few old machines. Including a Pentium-200 that I rebuilt
: >> with Win95b about 5 years ago. It had both floppy sizes, CD, and Zip
: >> drives. I can bring that up on the network just by hauling it out of
: >> storage and plugging it in. (Had to be careful to hang onto the old
: >> keyboard with the *fat* plug, and a serial mouse, too!)
: >
: > Geek.
: >
: > <gd&r>
:
: Yeah? <bg>

A real geek would not be afraid to pop open the mouse to clean the gunk off the roller ball, versus swearing to support it's broken and demanding a replacement.
From: Karl E. Peterson on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...
>> Larry Serflaten wrote:
>>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

>>> Geek.
>>>
>>> <gd&r>
>>
>> Yeah? <bg>
>
> A real geek would not be afraid to pop open the mouse to clean the gunk off
> the roller ball, versus swearing to support it's broken and demanding a
> replacement.

I used to keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the filing cabinet for
exactly that purpose, among others.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: ralph on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:30:56 +0100, "Helmut Meukel"
<NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:

>"ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:07:56 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>One of my main regrets is that I wasn't aware of (maybe it didn't
>>>exist?) WinImage at the time I started archiving MS-BASIC bits. :-(
>>
>> Mine is not immediately converting all my 5 1/4 floopies to 1.44 or CD
>> when I actually had a working machine that could do that. <g>
>>
>> -ralph
>
>I still have a working(?) 5 1/4 floppy drive. About three years ago i got
>a new PC and thought I would there install the old drive. No chance, the
>BIOS refused to recognize the drive. :-(
>I'm quite certain the drive is ok. It was ok when I removed it from an
>old PC and wrapped it into a plastic bag, about 15 years ago.
>
>Helmut.

I've seen several 'geek' responses on the web where such is
supposeably possible. But the only working solution I've seen so far
is a Rube Goldberg kit where you mount the 5 1/4 drive in the box,
then attach a USB adaptor - run the USB adaptor out of the box and
plug into to a USB socket, then do some lying to the BIOS. The kit
contains everything but the 5 1/4 drive. The whole thing strikes me as
just too ugly - but it looks like that is the way to go.

I kept waiting for someone to release a 5 1/4 usb stand-alone, a la
the many 1.44 around (I have one of those) - but none have ever been
forthcoming.

I wish I had an old PC to plug into the net as that seems the easiest
solution, but the problem is, like my cars, I ran them all into the
ground. All had some major motherboard/bus trouble, else I would still
be using them.

But frankly even with all my whinning - I really don't see myself
sitting there hour after hour - swapping discs in and out - just to
preserve copies of Brief, A86, Desqview, Multiscope Debugger, and
other such products. <g>

-ralph
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11