From: Peter Ceresole on
I'm soon getting (really!) a new iMac. For the first time, I think I
will use Time Machine, so I need a decent sized external HD, to back up
both Anne's MBP and my new iMac.

I'll make it Firewire 800 (I think).

Any recommendations?
--
Peter
From: Peter Ceresole on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm soon getting (really!) a new iMac. For the first time, I think I
> will use Time Machine, so I need a decent sized external HD, to back up
> both Anne's MBP and my new iMac.
>
> I'll make it Firewire 800 (I think).
>
> Any recommendations?

Oh yes, and for all kinds of silly reasons (like excellent previous
experience and there's a bus that goes pretty well from door to door
between my house and JL), I'd like to get it from John Lewis in Oxford
Street.
--
Peter
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-06-28 20:55:44 +0100, Peter Ceresole said:

> Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm soon getting (really!) a new iMac. For the first time, I think I
>> will use Time Machine, so I need a decent sized external HD, to back up
>> both Anne's MBP and my new iMac.
>>
>> I'll make it Firewire 800 (I think).
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> Oh yes, and for all kinds of silly reasons (like excellent previous
> experience and there's a bus that goes pretty well from door to door
> between my house and JL), I'd like to get it from John Lewis in Oxford
> Street.

That *really* limits your choices. A quick search for "firewire" on
johnlewis.com reveals no hard disks at all. Though perhaps that's just
because they don't mention the interfaces much? But John Lewis don't
seem to have a particularly wide range of disks.

You'll get more bang for your buck with a 3.5" unit, which means it'll
come with a power brick. In which case, avoid LaCie because they have
famously bad power bricks.

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about FW800. USB 2 is going to
be generally fast enough, and it gives you a lot more choice.
--
Chris

From: J. J. Lodder on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm soon getting (really!) a new iMac. For the first time, I think I
> will use Time Machine, so I need a decent sized external HD, to back up
> both Anne's MBP and my new iMac.

Nowadays 2 TB are cheapest/GB
Don't worry, it will fill up.

> I'll make it Firewire 800 (I think).

For just Time Machine (and nothing else)
there is little point in having firewire.
USB will do.
Video editing is another story,

Jan
From: Peter Ceresole on
J. J. Lodder <nospam(a)de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:

> Nowadays 2 TB are cheapest/GB
> Don't worry, it will fill up.

I have no doubt whatsoever that that's true.

> For just Time Machine (and nothing else)
> there is little point in having firewire.
> USB will do.

Yes, I've been told this. So I guess USB will be it.

> Video editing is another story,

Having spent a great part of my life first film, and then video editing
(and enjoying it), when I stopped making TV programmes I swore I'd never
make a video edit again, and I never have. The pleasure's in the past,
and I'm happy to have it stored in memory.
--
Peter