From: Roedy Green on
If you wanted to trim trailing 0s from a string representation of a
number after the decimal point, can you do it directly with
DecimalFormat, or do you need to do String operations on the result?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

You encapsulate not just to save typing, but more importantly, to make it easy and safe to change the code later, since you then need change the logic in only one place. Without it, you might fail to change the logic in all the places it occurs.
From: John B. Matthews on
In article <8ep1565th6q070srgj715t6j7rc5rfuffe(a)4ax.com>,
Roedy Green <see_website(a)mindprod.com.invalid> wrote:

> If you wanted to trim trailing 0s from a string representation of a
> number after the decimal point, can you do it directly with
> DecimalFormat, or do you need to do String operations on the result?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to convert the String to a Number, long or
double before you could format() it.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
From: Eric Sosman on
On 7/28/2010 10:23 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> If you wanted to trim trailing 0s from a string representation of a
> number after the decimal point, can you do it directly with
> DecimalFormat, or do you need to do String operations on the result?

If you're starting with the numeric value (as opposed to an
already-generated String), just use the '#' pattern character, as

NumberFormat fmt = new DecimalFormat("#.##");

This will format 1.20 as "1.2" and 3.45 as "3.45".

--
Eric Sosman
esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid
From: Roedy Green on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:08:23 -0400, "John B. Matthews"
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>I'm pretty sure you'd have to convert the String to a Number, long or
>double before you could format() it.

I have it as a double. DecimalFormat.format gives me the String.

My question is, is there any tricky pattern you can give it to trim
trailing 000, or do you need to process the output of .format as a
String?

From: Roedy Green on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:22:32 -0400, Eric Sosman
<esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

> NumberFormat fmt = new DecimalFormat("#.##");
>
>This will format 1.20 as "1.2" and 3.45 as "3.45".

Any is there a way to trim .00 to get rid of the dot too, or is that
the default behaviour?