From: Mariela on
I have a query that calculates the total of a field in my table - Field Name
in my Table is Total Value which calculates the total for a series of records
that has the same invoice number. Field in in my query is Aggregate Value.
I now have a form where I bring in the Aggregate Value. I need to create
another Text box Value Verified where I bring in the Aggregate Value as a
default, but I may have to change it if the Value has changed - but the
Aggregate Value has to remain the same.

I tried using default value on the form for the Value Verified Text control
that brings in the Aggregate Value but it does not work -

does anyone have a suggestion?
--
Regards - MD
From: Al Campagna on
Mariela,
As a general rule, don't save the value of a calculation in a table.
Re-Calculate the value "on the fly" whenever it is needed in any
subsequent form,
query, or report.
For example: Price * Qty = LineTotal
Line Total would not be saved in a table, only Price and Qty. Wherever
Line Total is needed, just recalculate Price * Qty... to get it

The same would hold true for a value derived from adding the value on
several records...

>>but I may have to change it if the Value has changed
That's the problem with "saving" a calculation. If any of the elements
change, the "saved" value must also be changed. So... just use an unbound
calculated field, calculate on the fly, and avoid that problem.
--
hth
Al Campagna