From: Daave on
Not a bad suggestion.

Doug W. wrote:
> Sometimes "factory" discs are just plain dirty. I have had some
> that just required a few swipes with a clean old T-shirt to make
> them perfectly readable. You would be surprised how smeary some
> of them are. Another thing is how people handle discs, geez I
> just wince to see how some users put fingerprints all over them.
>
> A lens cleaner doesn't cost much either and should be used
> periodically, especially for drives where smoke and smoking is
> involved.
> ==
>
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> Kernel wrote:
>>> I purchased a Win XP Pro OEM CD on ebay several months back.
>>> The
>>> package was sealed, and it included a COA. When I ran the
>>> setup
>>> today in a new PC I built, it stopped numerous times with a
>>> popup
>>> saying a certain .dll can not be copied (duser.dll;
>>> wind_w.chg.wmp.dll, etc). It gave me the choice to try again
>>> with
>>> Enter; and most of the time it went on copying dlls in the
>>> setup. I
>>> got thru about half a dozen of those problems, and when the
>>> copying
>>> portion of the installation was about completed, a popup said
>>> STOP:
>>> c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image dll url.dll is
>>> possibly
>>> corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You got what you paid for. Since you didn't obtain the disk from MS, MS
doesn't want to hear about it.

From: SC Tom on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> You got what you paid for. Since you didn't obtain the disk from MS, MS
> doesn't want to hear about it.

I don't really think that's correct. I've never bought any MS software
directly from MS, but have always had support from them (until the lifecycle
ran out).
--
SC Tom

From: Bruce Chambers on
Kernel wrote:
> I purchased a Win XP Pro OEM CD on ebay several months back. The package
> was sealed, and it included a COA. When I ran the setup today in a new PC I
> built, it stopped numerous times with a popup saying a certain .dll can not
> be copied (duser.dll; wind_w.chg.wmp.dll, etc). It gave me the choice to
> try again with Enter; and most of the time it went on copying dlls in the
> setup. I got thru about half a dozen of those problems, and when the
> copying portion of the installation was about completed, a popup said STOP:
> c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image dll url.dll is possibly corrupt.
> The header checksum does not match the computed checksum. From that point
> the installation failed, of course.

Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation (even
a Repair installation) are most often caused by defective, incompatible,
or sub-standard hardware; in order of likelihood, either RAM, the hard
drive, or the motherboard. On very rare occasions the CD drive or
installation CD is the problem, but you seem to have eliminated this
possibility.

Start with testing the RAM. You might try MemTest86:
http://www.memtest86.com/ It's free. Then you can download and use the
hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility to test the hard drive. If
both RAM and hard drive test out clean, check with the motherboard
manufacturer for any diagnostic utilities.

> I'm past the 45 day deadline for ebay to help me. Is there any chance
> Microsoft will provide a replacement CD? Yeah, I know, two chances,
> slim and none...

You're correct. Microsoft provides no support for OEM software. Only
the seller can provide that support.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Support's one thing, replacing an OEM disk's another.