From: Cedric Oudinot on
My defender has not been able to download the latest updates for that reason.
I have tried to "check for updates now" or let the auto-update but they both
give me the same error message.
What is going on?
It's great to have defender integrated in Vista IF IT Worked.
Otherwise, that's useless CPU/memory overhead.

From: Daniel Chow [MSFT] on
Most probably the Windows Update Agent on your computer is managed by a WSUS
server owned by your IT administrator. A group policy has been deployed to
disable access to the Windows Update service on your computer. You should
check with your IT administrator.

--
Daniel Chow
Microsoft Corporation