From: Jim on
Hi all -

We have a flaky network and so sometimes an email will come into
sendmail when the box is not connected to the internet. Sendmail will
(correctly) defer these emails; the status for mailq is "host map:
lookup (mycompany.com): deferred" which I suppose means that the MX
record lookup failed due to lack of network connectivity.

So far so good. The problem we're facing is that when the network
subsequently comes back up, sendmail never retries these queued mails
again. The two workarounds we've found are restarting sendmail
("service sendmail restart") or running "sendmail -q" to process the
queue. However both of these are manual interventions, and we would
ideally like to configure sendmail to retry these requests
automatically every 15 minutes or so.

I haven't figured out the option to set to get sendmail to behave this
way. Can anyone help? I'm on Fedora 11 with Sendmail 8.14.

Thanks,
Jim
From: Robert Bonomi on
In article <e9f0411d-c7e1-4940-a5c3-57eec8d09880(a)q23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Jim <twelvefortyfive(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi all -
>
>We have a flaky network and so sometimes an email will come into
>sendmail when the box is not connected to the internet. Sendmail will
>(correctly) defer these emails; the status for mailq is "host map:
>lookup (mycompany.com): deferred" which I suppose means that the MX
>record lookup failed due to lack of network connectivity.
>
>So far so good. The problem we're facing is that when the network
>subsequently comes back up, sendmail never retries these queued mails
>again. The two workarounds we've found are restarting sendmail
>("service sendmail restart") or running "sendmail -q" to process the
>queue. However both of these are manual interventions, and we would
>ideally like to configure sendmail to retry these requests
>automatically every 15 minutes or so.
>
>I haven't figured out the option to set to get sendmail to behave this
>way. Can anyone help? I'm on Fedora 11 with Sendmail 8.14.

Apparently you don't have a sendmail 'queue runner' daemon running.
this is generally started at system boot time, by invoking sendmail
with a, say. '-q30' option (for queue runs every 30 minutes). Use
'-q15' for 15-minute intervals.

what does 'ps -gxuwwa |grep mail' show ?