From: Charles Marcus on
On 9/2/2009, Remy Lambert (RLambert(a)healthforcepartners.com) wrote:
> Regarding the error counts, I see what you're getting at - when
> taking into consideration how often a message can be retried over any
> given span of time, it makes error count pretty irrelevant. I
> suppose if I want the message to bounce after x number of failures, I
> should just compute the average time it would take to produce that
> condition and shorten "maximal_queue_lifetime" to that number.

Did you miss this:

Postfix can also be configured to send mail when there is a delay:

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time

I set mine to 15 minutes (15m) - that way a user will know that their
message was not delivered when they sent it, and can follow it up with a
phone call if it is important...

EMail is reliable enough these days that we rarely ever get a delay
warning...

--

Best regards,

Charles
From: Victor Duchovni on
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:04:12PM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 9/2/2009, Remy Lambert (RLambert(a)healthforcepartners.com) wrote:
> > Regarding the error counts, I see what you're getting at - when
> > taking into consideration how often a message can be retried over any
> > given span of time, it makes error count pretty irrelevant. I
> > suppose if I want the message to bounce after x number of failures, I
> > should just compute the average time it would take to produce that
> > condition and shorten "maximal_queue_lifetime" to that number.
>
> Did you miss this:
>
> Postfix can also be configured to send mail when there is a delay:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time
>
> I set mine to 15 minutes (15m) - that way a user will know that their
> message was not delivered when they sent it, and can follow it up with a
> phone call if it is important...

A bit too soon, given typical grey-listing minimum retry timers. I
would not send delay notices sooner than an hour after a message has
been queued. FWIW, I use a 2 hour delay warning.

--
Viktor.

From: Charles Marcus on
On 9/2/2009, Victor Duchovni (Victor.Duchovni(a)morganstanley.com) wrote:
> A bit too soon, given typical grey-listing minimum retry timers. I
> would not send delay notices sooner than an hour after a message has
> been queued. FWIW, I use a 2 hour delay warning.

Hmmm... I just realized why we haven't had any problems.

We relay all outbound mail through our outsourced anti-spam provider
(Webroot SaaS). So, unless *their* system is down - which it pretty much
never is - our mail is accepted immediately.

I've commented my config so if I ever fire webroot, I'll be sure to
change it to 2 hours...

Thanks Victor...

--

Best regards,

Charles
From: LuKreme on
On 2-Sep-2009, at 11:09, Remy Lambert wrote:
> I come from the land of MS Exchange so, although I'm competent

I'm not sure one is allowed to use "MS Exchange" and "competent" in
the same sentence without a negation.

Only half kidding :)

--
A marriage is always made up of two people who are prepared to
swear that only the other one snores.

From: Remy Lambert on
I did indeed miss that part, thanks!

Actually, now that I've looked we don't have that configured. I find that =
quite odd. I didn't set this system up, but they guy who did I have high r=
espect for and I'm a little amazed that he didn't configure it.

I'll do so immediately - thanks again for pointing this out!

-Rem

On 9/2/2009, Remy Lambert (RLambert(a)healthforcepartners.com) wrote:
> Regarding the error counts, I see what you're getting at - when
> taking into consideration how often a message can be retried over any
> given span of time, it makes error count pretty irrelevant. I
> suppose if I want the message to bounce after x number of failures, I
> should just compute the average time it would take to produce that
> condition and shorten "maximal_queue_lifetime" to that number.

Did you miss this:

Postfix can also be configured to send mail when there is a delay:

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time

I set mine to 15 minutes (15m) - that way a user will know that their
message was not delivered when they sent it, and can follow it up with a
phone call if it is important...

EMail is reliable enough these days that we rarely ever get a delay
warning...

--=20

Best regards,

Charles